Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Discussion] God Games: How and Why and Whatnot  (Read 911 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
[Discussion] God Games: How and Why and Whatnot
« on: July 25, 2011, 07:53:05 pm »

So, god games. They're one of the forum's most popular gametypes, but also one of the sorts that suffers from high attrition and more interest in playing than running. I figured it wouldn't hurt to create a thread to discuss them in.

Specifically, what I'm curious about is what aspect(s) of them people find enjoyable. It's obviously a rather broad concept, so I'm rather interested in figuring out which bits are the real, moving parts for various people. And, conversely, which parts or potential aspects people don't like. In essence, what's your ideal god game and why?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Discussion] God Games: How and Why and Whatnot
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 08:19:39 pm »

I dislike:
-When every player makes their own weirdly named race of loyal furries that don't interact with the rest of the game.
-When people make boring archtypical characters with no unique or interesting traits.
-When people reinact the creation myth of a real life religion and get mad when other people do something else.
-When nobody wants to play the villian. Alternatively, when everyone wants to be the villian.
-Vauge descriptions that are difficult to extrapolate detailed results from.
-Strictly elucidian geometry, as that is boring. Projective geometry is sufficent and allows for much more interesting locations.
-Names that are difficult to pronounce.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 10:35:30 pm »

I think the most important thing to me about any forum game, is an Active GM, and structure to the game.

Meaning, rules are pretty nicely explained, maps and locations and powers and such are given with examples, and the GM updates it all regularly.

That said, I think it's also why most God Games die slow deaths, because it puts a whole lot of work on the GM.

As to story and such I'm not all that biased. Though I do tend to dislike when everyone is playing the same human god/race, with little to no creativity.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 03:51:28 pm »

I dislike:
-When every player makes their own weirdly named race of loyal furries that don't interact with the rest of the game.

Thiis, in any genre and medium, all day and every day, forever. Not just the furry ones either.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 05:09:39 pm »

I'm still nostalgic to the original BotG games, way back in the prehistory of these forums. I measure everything in comparison to those and as is the nature of nostalgia I am dissatisfied with everything.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 05:11:39 pm »

I dislike when player's try to create the super badass race, and try to be the most unique and cool race ever. It get's annoying after awhile :/
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 11:11:27 pm »

Alright, so our very limited consensus seems to be that disconnected tribes and boring and/or stereotypical things suck. Anyone have any more commentary on what makes god games fun for them? What parts they prefer or that they think would make it not really a god game if removed?

On that note... most god games seem to be relatively serious, or at least ostensibly serious but then there's a god of smiley faces or something. But thinking about it, most god video games are either fairly humorous, or end up that way because the player(s) find it hilarious to dick around. Would a sillier, more forgiving to shenanigans type game more in the vein of Black&White be interesting and amusing, or lose the gravity to really be interesting and meaningful and turn into a "dump your followers in lava as fast as you can" contest?

In a not totally unrelated vein, what does everyone think of player-god appearance? Most tend to assume they're incorporeal and invisible and such, with the common exception of being able to talk to their followers without issue. How does everyone else think that should work?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 11:20:34 pm »

I wouldn't mind more humor in a god game. I loved black and white, and still play it from time to time.

When I think of how a god or goddess looks, I always like the idea of them being invisible to their followers, and thus the followers decide what they look like. It reminds me of the people praying to idols of their god in Actraiser. They go to temple, and begin to pray, and thus the God gets a phone call.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 11:22:12 pm »

I always think of your appearance and what your follower's see you as as completely different things. For example, a god of jokes would be just laughter when incorporeal, but would be a harlequin when he is an avatar.