Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Five newbie questions  (Read 536 times)

beltsasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Five newbie questions
« on: July 24, 2011, 11:29:34 am »

Hello,
I'm playing since a few days.
The first time I had fun because of the food, the second I did not realize that barrels of beer are identical to barrel of food and my dwarves died thirsty.
Now the new game is going,  these are the doubts that I can't solve (maybe I'm a little too confused by searching the wiki)

1) Where can I find a table with the connections skill - labours - actual actions (I mean workshop or other activities) ?
2) How deep is the deep metal? I'm pretty sure at the embarkment I had deep metal in my starting location, but I dug 20 level down and all I found is gems. I'm beginning to get worried, I need some soldiers.
3) The only noble I have is the broker (is he a noble, is'nt he?). When do I have to start choosing the others?
4) Can I free tame animals from the cage without building a lever and connecting it to the cage?
5) Where can I see what kind of seeds I have?

That's all (pretty much).
Thanx!

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Five newbie questions
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 11:42:07 am »

1) here.
2) Really deep. Unless you've hit some underground caverns, don't worry.
3) look here. You can appoint nobles by bringing up the noble screen (n, I believe). In order to be able to appoint a noble, you must have the noble listed in the "appointed by" column.
4) You have to build the cage, but you don't have to connect a lever. Once it's built, query it and you can release animals from it.
5) Once you have appointed a bookkeeper, you can set a level of precision to keep the accounts to. A high level of precision will mean your bookkeeper will work harder. Once a level is achieved, you know what seeds you have to that many significant digits when pressing z. If the significant digit level means that you know it exactly, you can press z, go to 'stocks', and select 'seeds', and it will tell you how many of each, and where they are located.

frodo0800

• Bay Watcher
  • Son of Ilúvatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 11:44:02 am »

try downloading lazy newbie pack.
1-v-p-l or dwarfTheReapist
2-it depends,below the shallow one
3-when you fell you're ready like th emilita captain for the army or the sheriff for  killing everyone  kepping the order,the only "Reals nobles" in the current version are the ,baron,count,duchy and king.
4-you can assing them to a pasture and then cancel the order just press i-select the pasture the press N
and choose the animal.
5- press z then go to stock with the arrow keys,i advise you to select an bookkepper and select him press s then put on highest precision,then give him an office

beltsasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 12:17:24 pm »

Thanx to both of you

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 03:04:43 pm »

Deep metals are rarely military-relevant.  You're most likely to get something like sphalerite or galena.  If steelmaking is a huge priority, you want to embark with shallow metals.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz