Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Men of War  (Read 5699 times)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Men of War
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2011, 10:12:26 am »

You need to direct control somebody who isn't the leader of a squad or else the entire squad will follow him.

DarkerDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2011, 04:27:10 pm »

Also, if you want your men to do something specific, but don't want them taking cover when engaged, like for instance - when charging a lone sniper with a full squad of men. Make sure the "free movement" button is toggled to none. That way they won't do things like - advance with bounding overwatch when the situation really doesn't call for it. They also won't throw back enemy grenades or find new cover if the wall they were crouched behind gets blown apart by HE rounds, so turning free movement off requires a little more micromanagement. But hey, at least you won't get guys diving down into a bush when you tell them to charge a sniper's roost.

But realistically, you probably shouldn't have charged a squad of men at a sniper without laying down a bit of covering fire first. :P

Yes, suppression works in this game. If you see your men with their heads ducked down behind cover where they might be better off shooting, direct control them.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2011, 08:19:36 pm »

How to deal with snipers 101:

1. Scream at allies in voice chat. "***** SNIPER **** ***** **** THE ***** ****!!!!"
2. Ping the point you think the sniper is like a maniac. Maintain #1 the whole time.
3. Wait for allies to get irritated enough by #1 and #2 that they buy a rocket artillery just to kill that one sniper.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2011, 06:42:15 am »

I'm looking through mod recommendations but I'm not seeing anything particularly interesting. You guys have any suggestions?

DarkerDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2011, 12:50:37 pm »

I'm looking through mod recommendations but I'm not seeing anything particularly interesting. You guys have any suggestions?

German Soldiers mod might be worth taking a gander if you can find a couple of buddies to play against. It adds a heap of new vehicles and troop types and includes options to play in different time periods. So you can choose to play with equipment strictly limited to 1940, or 1942, etc. The equipment restrictions is mainly for multiplayer though, it's probably not worth getting if you play singleplayer exclusively. The downside of the mod, in my opinion, is that it screws with the ranges in an attempt to make them more realistic. This means the effective range of all weapons are increased drastically. While this might seem cool and realistic, the mod doesn't change any of the sight/spotting parameters, so what happens is when one of your men is actually spotted, EVERYONE within a mile radius with LOS will start shooting at the bugger.

The only other mods I play with include a simple tracer mod and a "testmode" mod that lets me set up multiplayer matches without any point restrictions. I've probably had more fun with the testmode mod than any of the others, as me and my brother will make up our own scenarios like: See who can take control of the airfield with nothing but hundreds of light tanks. Or, who will come out on top in a duel between a company of king tigers and a company of IS-2s? The matches usually descend into madness when they near the end, but that really only adds to the fun! Have you seen how much damage 20 Katyusha launchers can do in 30 seconds?  ;D

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2011, 01:12:07 pm »

Oh man, I need to get that testmode mod. I would love to fight a gigantic ground war in a huge city with the attacking force owning an army of Calliope tanks.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2011, 01:15:54 pm »

So you can choose to play with equipment strictly limited to 1940, or 1942, etc.

BRB changing pants.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2011, 08:09:23 pm »

Darker, link to the testmode mod please. Google isn't helping.

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2011, 09:22:03 pm »

The Commanders of War II mod pretty much does what that test mode mod does, but it also adds tons units and increases the quality of gameplay.
And that's coming from someone who plays in LAN games by himself.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2011, 09:43:34 pm »

Dynamic Campaign Generator. Have a force of units that gains veterancy over time, in campaigns over multiple maps, in a larger campaign that can go from 1939-1945 with the same units. Also you can capture enemy equipment and keep it. IN fact, all units that survive stay with you.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

DarkerDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2011, 05:54:24 am »

Darker, link to the testmode mod please. Google isn't helping.

It's been awhile since I downloaded it, but I think this is where I got it:
http://www.digitalmindsoft.eu/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3287&hilit=testmode

Also, the digitalmindsoft forums is home to most of the Men of War modding community. If you're looking for a specific Men of War mod, then chances are you'll find it there. :)

xDarkz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 19, 2011, 06:49:35 am »

I love this series to death. I wish it was more popular though; it deserves a whole lot more than what it's worth.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2011, 02:43:38 am »

(bump)

Also, anyone know of a map that is basically a giant game of defend/storm the trench? I love trench battles more than other kinds, with urban coming in second and I was wondering if there were any good ones out there.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]