Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Dwarven Computation Project  (Read 1805 times)

DonerKebab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dwarven Computation Project
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2008, 11:51:00 pm »

What I'm really looking for is a client to help run my fortress on other people's computers.  Similar to Seti at home etc.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2008, 12:49:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by DonerKebab:
<STRONG>What I'm really looking for is a client to help run my fortress on other people's computers.  Similar to Seti at home etc.</STRONG>

DF isn't coded for parallel with a shared memory architecture. It sure as hell can not be distributed over a network.

Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2008, 01:37:00 am »

Given that mechanisms once outfitted can't be traced you're going to have a lot of fun debugging that thing.

I posted an idea for a hard-wired computer-like clockwork task (scrolling message via floodgate pixels) but it was done as a joke.

Too much of the data you need for diagnostics is either unobtainable once put in place or very hard to get at.  You'll need to take notes and take great care that you keep your notes synchronized with what you actually build.  (Documentation of things that aren't so can be a source of terrible frustration when debugging.)

You probably already know "The Rules", but here they are for review:

1.  Switches signal when and only when they change states.
2.  Devices respond to switches when and only when they are "listening" and in a state different from the new state of the switch.
3.  Devices responding to a signal ignore subsequent signals for some period of time.  Even spikes have a signal response latency.

These rules taken together make for some serious design hurdles.  I solved my latency and synchronization issues by setting my pressure plates to "0/0".  This takes advantage of the natural latency of water evaporation -- and of my profligate water usage (if I didn't use enough water the valve control plate might get wet right after it dries, and there goes the fort.  Instead my water usage guarantees that when the VCP dries its adjacent tile will be safely at level 0-1 as well.  In fact the VCP is at the end of a corridor -- very safe indeed.  The VCP buffering corridor drains well before the VCP dries.  The length of the corridor is actually a means of controlling how much water is added to the system per VCP drying event -- the longer the corridor, the more water goes in.)

You can't use evaporation to prevent signal overruns in your computer because it would be horrendously slow.

Good luck.

"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

hellomike

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2008, 02:07:00 am »

This is so awesome. You are completely mad.

I hope you get somewhere with it.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2008, 05:05:00 pm »

Hardly on topic...

Yesterday I've been thinking about DF-based CPUs... Specifically, I was thinking up a name for an OS that could exist on these. So far my best was "Floodgates".  :) "Windows" was parodied as "Doors", and this ain't far off, plus it separates nicely into "Flood Gates".  :D

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2008, 05:26:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Mirrsen:
<STRONG>"Flood Gates".   :D</STRONG>

[P]ull the lever.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2008, 05:39:00 pm »

Just replying to say:  L1 cache?  For this?  You're insane.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2008, 02:20:00 am »

I have been building a fort to do some DF calculations with, and I am running into a huge problem with stone. I have mined close to 50 thousand pieces of stone, and have been converting most to mechanisms, tossing anything with less than exceptional quality into a chasm. And I still have a ridiculous number of stones in the bottom level where I intend to build a water pool for use in hybrid water/mechanical circuitry. I just can't hit dump fast enough.  :(
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Vengeful Donut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2008, 09:37:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Nadaka:
<STRONG>I have been building a fort to do some DF calculations with, and I am running into a huge problem with stone. I have mined close to 50 thousand pieces of stone, and have been converting most to mechanisms, tossing anything with less than exceptional quality into a chasm. And I still have a ridiculous number of stones in the bottom level where I intend to build a water pool for use in hybrid water/mechanical circuitry. I just can't hit dump fast enough.   :(</STRONG>

Dump from the manager screen using a macro. That's the only way.

M_Gargantua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2008, 01:18:00 pm »

Update: Progress is slow, but mostly because I have no time. I'm just working on all the ALU's, like the adder, subtractor, and multiplier, to get those stream lined. I'm going to wait for the next version to build the full computer. Screens sometime soon.
Pages: 1 [2]