Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: mac version?  (Read 516 times)

bsabiston

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
mac version?
« on: July 22, 2011, 09:33:14 pm »

Hello,  earlier today at work I downloaded the mac version of this game.  The unzipped folder contained a script that I could double-click to run the game.

Now, though, at home, the mac version I download does not have this script, nor the mac version readme -- what happened, did the download change?

Thanks
Bob

mwanafalsafa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: mac version?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 11:00:06 pm »

I've only been able to run the game on OS X using the terminal.

Open the terminal and type: cd <the directory dwarf fortress is in>/df_osx

Hit enter, then type: ./df

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 12:02:45 am »

I just downloaded it and ran it just fine. Try downloading it several times and see what happens. The readme says you need some libraries:

In addition to the hardware requirements (which will be the same as the other
platforms) your system will need these libraries installed:

* GTK+ 2+
* SDL 1.2+
* SDL_image

And some kind of OpenGL implementation, so:

* libgl
* libglu

If the problem persists, look those up, because it sounds like the problem might be related to this.
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 12:23:07 am »

Did you perhaps download the legacy version by mistake? The script you want is called just "df" and on my Mac its icon is a gray rectangle. Remember, if it's an older, non-intel Mac it won't work. Also, you might get more help posting in the Gameplay Questions thread.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."