Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question on how to store goblins in cages.  (Read 592 times)

Syv

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Question on how to store goblins in cages.
« on: July 24, 2011, 10:20:32 am »

This is my first post on this forum as I've tried to google this issue to no avail.

In my current game I'm having severe FPS issues where my game is crawling along at 1 FPS. With only 42 dwarfs and one ongoing, current, siege... I think this is related to the following:

Just before the siege started, I built a cage room, and ordered my dwarfs to store the trapped goblins (from a previous siege) in these cages.

I've tried to zone the room as a pit and I've also tried just now to remove the zone and assign the goblins to the cages individually. However for some reason my dwarfs won't cage them. Instead I'm spammed over and over with the following messages.

"[Insert Dwarf] [Insert profession] cancels [insert job]: Handling dangerous creature"
and
"[Dwarf] [profession] cancels handling dangerous creature: Need empty cage"

Pic

I've got plenty of empty cages, I've even assigned the goblins individually. What gives?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 10:23:46 am by Syv »

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question on how to store goblins in cages.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 10:40:53 am »

Well,
armed goblins cannot be handled like tame animals ;)

Your mistake was that you ordered your dwarves to get the goblins out of one cage
and carry them along into another cage...
something that wonīt work as thegoblins arenīt cooperative and will try to escape.

Your only chance to put the goblins into a cage room is,
to directly build the cages that contain your trapped goblins
into the cage room
(or to make a cage stockpile in this room where you store all occupied cages ;) )

I think your only chance to save the day is, to either kill them, or let them walk over another cage trap, so that they are caged again ;)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 10:42:47 am by Proteus »

Syv

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 11:04:38 am »

I see, thanks for clearing that up.

This could get interesting  :o

Edit: Well, an interesting crawl. This all hit me with a major FPS drop at 1-2 FPS. That's with a 3 year old Core 2 Duo @ approx. 3,2Ghz.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 11:07:56 am by Syv »

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 12:33:40 pm »

I see, thanks for clearing that up.

This could get interesting  :o

Edit: Well, an interesting crawl. This all hit me with a major FPS drop at 1-2 FPS. That's with a 3 year old Core 2 Duo @ approx. 3,2Ghz.

DF isnt multithreaded.  only one core is being used, unless the others are being used for background taks.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time