Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: "Added ability to do designations over Z levels (e.g. long up/down staircases)."  (Read 4146 times)

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I wonder how it'll work with dig designations? I do the same thing Yoink does, so I'm hoping it just designates it on all the levels rather than auto-connecting them.

It'll certainly make designation of identical floors easier, though. I might not even NEED to trace them once this gets released.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Digmaster

• Escaped Lunatic
  • The Aluminum Ring
    • View Profile

What is the source of this? I have looked around for a bit and I've been unable to locate it.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

What is the source of this? I have looked around for a bit and I've been unable to locate it.

The dev log.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile

I wonder how it'll work with dig designations?
I predict it'll work like burrow designations, or a macro set to make something and then move to the next z-level. If you select a cube for digging, you get a bunch of square rooms stacked on top of each other. If you select up stairs, you get a bunch of up stairs stacked on top of each other. Have fun with that.

3D digging designations probably won't work with 3D veins any better than 2D designation currently works with 2D veins. In that case, DFXvdig is going to get a lot more useful.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Ethicalfive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't understand why everyone is getting so worked up about this. For some, maybe even most people it is an incredibly useful change, and for everyone else it isn't hurting anything. I believe that it was said in the livestream that implementing 3D designation would take "One line of code", so unless it causes any unforeseen bugs it shouldn't be delaying anything else. I agree that designation style construction would also be a very useful feature, but that shouldn't do anything to detract from the value of 3D designations.
I do agree, I just got a bit carried away with my pet peeve issue of construction designations. 3D designations are definately the right way to go and make more sense considering the 3D environment.

I'd love to see things like channeling be tweeked some time down the line, so channeling queues are forced to complete the top most designated Z level before moving on to the level below. That way large multi-Z level rooms or strip mines can be designated in one go without fear of cave-ins.. No rush on that one though.
Urist McMiner Unearths a strange pad. He trembles as he inspects it's time saving features. Knowing no 1 dwarf must posess this power, he quietly drops it into the nearest chasm and never speaks of it again.DwarfPad

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The dev log.
This is why I love forums. Three pages of posts from one sentence.

Should be a nice feature and will remove the annoyance of making multi level sleeping quarters.

Also for the guy who hates volcanoes: if you build a huge flooding chamber and break into the underground you've got good tree farm.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID

For a good amount of time, I had to resort to using AHK or making macros on a gamepad to get something like this done. Can't wait for the update. Gonna make some things simpler to get done.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

So, does this mean we can designate stairs/walls/floors up into empty space instead of having to do every tower floor individually?
that would be Awesome.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile

Constructions aren't designated, they're built. The two things use different code. I'd love to see constructions switched to designations, if only because players break enough dwarves trying to build off bridges. :D
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile

I like being able to build off bridges! Great for killing off bad mayors.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile

I consider this a great step forward, and hope that this will pave they way for a soon-to-arrive multi-level constructions, which is what has always been my biggest issue with building. I'd like to see the "can't build without all materials" cap remove, make the game more streamlined. You designate, highlight the material(s) you want and then ignore it. If the materials aren't there, it isn't suspended, it just delays. That might slow down FPS, though, I don't know. I find suspended floors to be really aggravating.

Oooh, new idea. Mass-designation suspend/unsuspend, just like mass-designating items to be forbidden or dumped and so on.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID

We can have the mass-designation of constructions, but also keep the detailed choosing, because we can choose the specific materials based on distance as well, I think. That way, we won't have to disturb a pile set for manufacturing plants/workshops. Then again, it also helps setting a stockpile right next to a project site anyway to streamline the material designations.
Pages: 1 2 [3]