Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capturing flying animals?  (Read 935 times)

Coco146

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Capturing flying animals?
« on: July 21, 2011, 11:46:38 am »

I have a couple of giant owls causing trouble for my fort and personally I would rather that they caused trouble for the elves. I have a plan involving a rope and a donkey, but would it work?

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
Re: Capturing flying animals?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 11:52:25 am »

I dunno, do they tend to randomly attack your animals?
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 12:00:54 pm »

There are no giant owls in vanilla DF.  What mod are you using?  They may or may not go after the donkey, depending on what kind of behavior tags they have.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Max176

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 01:42:08 pm »

I think he may mean giant eagles.
I'm mining out and admixture every section of adamant ore I can get my easily on to alternation my armoursmith up to allegorical so he can accomplish actively alarming armour for my aggressive. again I'm traveling to do the aforementioned for weapons.

Coco146

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 01:52:49 pm »

Genesis mod, and yes they are going after my animals

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 05:48:34 pm »

Lure them into an undergound passageway (kittens = bait), drop a bridge over the exit, and get it in a cage trap.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 05:55:58 pm »

If you somehow get them into a cage trap then manage to tame them, they won't be flying wonders anymore, also birds lay eggs so it may mean that you won't be able to breed em either.

But it would be great if you could somehow contain them and then set them loose (see above post  :) )

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 05:58:09 pm »

Here's how I would recommend doing it: Build a wall across the map, spanning its z-levels also. Leave some gaps in it. Fill gaps with cage traps. Finished. Now, if the flying creatures want to get to the other side of the map, they have to fly through a cage trap, and get caught.