Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animal Training (Fortress Mode Noob Help)  (Read 1272 times)

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
Animal Training (Fortress Mode Noob Help)
« on: July 26, 2011, 09:18:12 pm »

So... I built a few wooden traps and sent out my noob animal trainer to catch a live animal. He succeeded... in caging a live rat.

For a second, I was thinking, "Sweet! War Rats!" but then, I ran into a problem.

I told him to "train tame small animal." He drags the cage with the rat in it over the the kennel, but then complains "needs unrotten item." I checked the rat, and, sure enough, it was alive, not rotten.
Now I have a cage with a rat in it that is completely useless.

So, a few questions.

-Can I tame rats?
-If so, what am I doing wrong?
-If I can't tame rats, how do I tell my stupid animal trainer/trapper to catch something else?
-How do I get rid of the rat in the cage?
-What is a good creature to train? (I know about dogs, already, I just have none.)

Any other information that might be useful, please post.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 10:04:54 pm by Nighthawk »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Animal Training (Fortress Mode Noob Help)
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 09:26:20 pm »

There's no 'train small animal' job.  You can tame a small animal, which is different.  This should result in a tame rat, which is pretty much useless.

The 'catch a live animal' job only captures vermin-size animals, which aren't useful for much.  To capture useful animals, you need to build cage traps.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 10:40:15 pm »

yep.  tame vermin are only useful as pets.  and not as useful as pets as larger animals, as dwarves all hate one kind of vermin or another, so eventually that pet vermin that gives urist mcratlover a happy thought is going to give an unhappy thought to every urist mcrathater that he passes (if carrying the pet) or passes the built small animal cage.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 11:37:09 pm »

do tame vermin spot ambushes? because i current have a couple caged infront of my fort to do !!SCIENCE!! and learn