Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: World Gen Help  (Read 1123 times)

Henri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
World Gen Help
« on: July 17, 2011, 01:18:16 pm »

I have been wanting to make a savage world, but I have the problem of dwarves not settling in savage biomes, I was wondering if there were any tags I could change to allow them to settle there, so I don't keep getting the "No controllable entity definitions available" error.
Thanks.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World Gen Help
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 11:50:14 pm »

I am not certain, but I think that the "surroundings" alignment is set by the creatures, not the civ.  Try putting the [SAVAGE] tag in the dwarf raw definition and see if that helps.

edit: Nevermind; just generated a world and nobody seems to care about savagery.  I have humans setting up shop in untamed wilds everywhere, with no raw modification whatsoever. 

edit: Alright, I made an entirely savage world, and managed to get 10 dwarven civs set up on it.  They all have sites showing up in savage places, so I don't think savagery has anything to do with it.  Perhaps you are just asking for too many civilizations?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 12:14:40 am by Caldfir »
where is up?

Henri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 07:43:12 am »

Ah, thanks for the help. I will mess around with my parameters a bit more then, at least Savagery is not the problem :)

Edit: Also, what would be the maximum number of civs I should have settle on a medium sized map? And is there any ways to increase that number?

Edit2: I have tried doing the same, and I just can't replicate your results, in the world gen, it doesn't place a single civ when savagery is high, it just rejects instantly. I tried the [SAVAGE] tag, it didn't help.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 10:36:46 am by Henri »

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 08:18:20 pm »

Try PerfectWorldDF (link in my sig). You can add alot of noise to the savagery map, so that there are always savage areas nearby, even if the map is not entirely savage.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 12:07:58 am »

I'm tninking that possibly it will place sites on savage locations, but won't start civs there.  The world I was talking about had 50-100 savagery, and it is possible that 100 savagery everywhere just doesn't have any start locations.  I don't think there is currently any way around this - it must be hardcoded into how civilizations are placed. 

As for number of civs on a medium map, you will have trouble placing more than 40, and if your civs live in mountains only (like dwarves and goblins) it will be very difficult to get more than 10. 
where is up?

Henri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 08:29:10 pm »

Thanks Cephalo I will try that. And thanks to you also Caldfir, learn something new every time I come on to these forums. I also never knew Goblins were mountain dwellers.
I am gonna give all entities [BIOME_SUPPORT:ALL_MAIN] to get rid of the need for lots of mountains and forests etc, try the high noise savagery map with PerfectWorld, and hope for the best, thanks a lot guys.

Edit: Oh, and whilst I am here, I am tempted to mod in some more entities, can I have more than 3 neighboring entities at a time, or is 3 the limit?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 08:31:21 pm by Henri »

cameron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 04:50:58 pm »

afaik you can have as many as you can get to settle nearby, though there might be a limit of one per race/civ entry.

Henri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 08:18:15 am »

Ah excellent, thank you very much Cameron. I could just clone entities to make more than one settle next to me as well :)

Edit: Is there anyway to generate multiple worlds at the same time/continuously without any input. I read on a thread on here a while back someone mentioning it, and I couldn't find it again. It would make finding my ideal embark so much easier.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 06:07:28 pm by Henri »