Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Megabeasts can't breed?  (Read 2330 times)

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Megabeasts can't breed?
« on: July 21, 2011, 03:21:54 am »

I keep reading that they can't breed, yet in world gen, they do sometimes breed, though most of the times only rocs seem to breed, I've seen giants and such having born after world gen too. Or when you guys say that they can't breed, you mean only outside of the worldgen?

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Megabeasts can't breed?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 03:31:54 am »

After world gen, nothing happens if there isn't a player near to it.

frodo0800

• Bay Watcher
  • Son of Ilúvatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 06:06:01 am »

but what about that post where the guy discribes a "second age of mith"?

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 07:37:04 am »

Maybe you can breed some megabeasts in your fortress if you get hold of a mating pair? People have bred dragons and rocs before, I believe, and the likes of cyclops/minotaur/giant can probably be bred too. But random creatures like FBs and titans can't breed, and neither can sexless creatures like bronze colossuses.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

BunnyBob77

• Bay Watcher
  • The Lurkmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 08:39:34 am »

The ages happen because a certain percentage of the megabeasts are dead, so a second one requires a semimegabeast like a roc or a minotaur to breed, because I'm pretty sure that they breed much faster tan other semimegabeasts or megabeasts.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 11:10:29 am »

I was just confused since I keep hearing claims that they can't breed despite the fact that they breed at least in legends o-o I guess I've just understood something wrong then.

frodo0800

• Bay Watcher
  • Son of Ilúvatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 12:19:44 pm »

in legends i'm pretty sure that cyclops nad giats can breed.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 12:22:29 pm »

Megabeasts can breed it is just so fantastically unlikely.

Rocs breed mostly because they have their own lair type and don't have to share.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 12:54:09 pm »

I did few tests, it seems that during world gen, mega beast breed as long there aren't too many of them o-o(got hydras/dragons/rocs breed in same world) Not sure if they can breed in Fortress mode, gotta check.

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 03:47:52 pm »

Maybe you can breed some megabeasts in your fortress if you get hold of a mating pair? People have bred dragons and rocs before, I believe, and the likes of cyclops/minotaur/giant can probably be bred too. But random creatures like FBs and titans can't breed, and neither can sexless creatures like bronze colossuses.
Creatures with the same base type (An undulating lizard and an emaciated lizard) should be considered a breeding pair eventually. It'd be nice to breed together fire breath with chemicals. Lots of interesting genetics-related thoughts there.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 12:35:35 am »

Megabeasts do breed during worldgen, albeit rarely (I have generqated a few worlds where this happens).  The reason this doesn't happen more often is that the number of megabeasts at the start of worldgen is also a hard cap on the total allowable number of megabeasts, so births do not occur for anything with the [MEGABEAST] tag until some other megabeasts die. 

In fortress mode, creatures with the [PET] tag can be tamed and can breed, so in theory a dragon farm is possible, the difficulty naturally being securing and taming a (modded) pair of dragons. 

If anyone ever manages to breed some megabeasts in fort mode, let the world know!
where is up?

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 12:38:04 am »

I created few worlds where megabeast were only kind of beasts allowed(so no titans or demons or night creatures nor semi megabeasts) and they seem to rather consistently breed as long some of them die o-o But yeah, with other beasts allowed, its highly dependant on luck.

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 10:43:53 am »

Megabeasts do breed during worldgen, albeit rarely (I have generqated a few worlds where this happens).  The reason this doesn't happen more often is that the number of megabeasts at the start of worldgen is also a hard cap on the total allowable number of megabeasts, so births do not occur for anything with the [MEGABEAST] tag until some other megabeasts die. 

In fortress mode, creatures with the [PET] tag can be tamed and can breed, so in theory a dragon farm is possible, the difficulty naturally being securing and taming a (modded) pair of dragons. 

If anyone ever manages to breed some megabeasts in fort mode, let the world know!
Creatures without a PET tag can also breed. This is very annoying when a breeding pair of honey badgers are stuck in a murky pool. (though, they do have pet_exotic. Maybe if I remove that they'll stop?)

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2011, 11:42:01 am »

yeah - [PET_EXOTIC] does it as well
where is up?