Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Recovering from a Failed Mood?  (Read 1598 times)

HunterBlackLuna

• Bay Watcher
  • [REQUIRES_LNP]
    • View Profile
Recovering from a Failed Mood?
« on: July 20, 2011, 06:44:31 pm »

I was led to believe that a Strange Mood can only end in an artifact or a dead dorf, by one way or another of insanity. Hence, my standard practice of walling off workshops if the Moody dorf stops collecting stuff. Let em dehydrate; they'd only commit suicide or, even worse, rampage around and get put down anyway. Well, I happened to notice that a failed Moody dorf was still sane... although quite starving and thirsty. So, I ordered the wall taken down and he's currently crawling like a dying slug to the food and booze. Probably even survive, although it must suck to be him. Has anyone else had this? Am I mistaken, or was something else at play here? (I really knew he was alright when another dorf was struck by a mood, since you can only have one mood active at a time. Reading Battlefailed gives you invaluable Fortress-survival tools!)

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
Re: Recovering from a Failed Mood?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 06:47:59 pm »

Are you certain? Can you take a screenshot of his thoughts?
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 07:40:05 pm »

I've had it happen as well. Some guy was miserable for over a year but didn't spaz out
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 07:42:14 pm »

I perfer to get the dwarf what he's asking for.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 07:50:53 pm »

(I really knew he was alright when another dorf was struck by a mood, since you can only have one mood active at a time. Reading Battlefailed gives you invaluable Fortress-survival tools!)
Going insane ends the mood. I've had a dwarf go moody just before the previous mood (now melancholy) finally died of thirst.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

HunterBlackLuna

• Bay Watcher
  • [REQUIRES_LNP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 07:52:39 pm »

I perfer to get the dwarf what he's asking for.

Yeah? I prefer not to ever be surprised unpleasantly or lose a soldier in combat or run out of food. (Obviously making DF the perfect game for me, I know.)

I'm having trouble locating the Dorf now. Don't remember their name, I have 157 of them in the fortress now, and apparently somebody gave them water or something out of pity because nobody but a cow is in absolute crisis dehydration/starving mode on the health screen. I don't think they went insane, either, considering no level of insanity allows a Dorf to attend to their own needs such as food and drink, right?

Welp, I just found the coffin that serves as the Dorf's resting place. I definitely saw them leave the workshop and crawl towards the stockpiles; maybe they died on route? Melancholy, perhaps?

Yep. Died of thirst and promptly interred. Log doesn't say any messages about insanity but it probably just slipped my notice.

Going insane ends the mood. I've had a dwarf go moody just before the previous mood (now melancholy) finally died of thirst.

Oh, well. Thought I'd made a huge breakthrough!

Perhaps he was melancholy and you didn't notice it properly, this would allow him to crawl out very slowly, as the melancholy tend to do, but only randomly go towards the booze.  He wasn't actually going to drink, he was just sadly wandering until thirst overtook him.

Yep.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 11:07:38 am by HunterBlackLuna »

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 04:32:58 am »

I disabled moods because each of my legendary guys died because i didnt have what they wanted

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 08:08:50 am »

Perhaps he was melancholy and you didn't notice it properly, this would allow him to crawl out very slowly, as the melancholy tend to do, but only randomly go towards the booze.  He wasn't actually going to drink, he was just sadly wandering until thirst overtook him.