Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Babby's First Titan Kill  (Read 2781 times)

HunterBlackLuna

• Bay Watcher
  • [REQUIRES_LNP]
    • View Profile
Babby's First Titan Kill
« on: July 14, 2011, 05:33:56 pm »

THIS GAME IS AWESOME ASDFGHJKL-

Let's take it from the top.

My fortress, Anusdimple the Angry Angelic Disembowelment of Artifice, (most of the Dorfs just call it 'Anusdimple', though) is the first real one I've ever done. I've abandoned all others for boredom or lack of skill, and I'm relatively new at the game. I would have let this go, too.... but that name. I knew a fortress with this sort of name was meant for greatness, and so far, it has not disappointed. In the third year of our glorious fortress, I came face to face with my very first Uninvited Guest. I called my militia, all nine of them with leather armor and random weapons, to arms, and pulled up the drawbridges.

A picture taken from earlier in the game, although this is still the layout of the entrance. Simple, effective. I used that natural hillside formation and removed all the ramps to avoid having stuff just walk into my courtyard, and simple drawbridges for defense. Basic nublet stuff. I had people outside since it was a generally peaceful game and I had barely even seen any goblins when this beast showed up, so I scrambled to get them in and lock it out. It didn't work.

I don't have pictures of my Woodcutter's Benny Hill act with the Titan because I wasn't expecting to post this. The story gets epic only near the end, really. I do eventually manage to get the Woodcutter in, but in my bumbling with barrows and civilian alerts and not knowing how to use them, some random dipshit Peasant finds himself outside of our walls. The Titan gives chase, and I'm just about ready to write him off. In a last-ditch effort to get him to move into the courtyard for the airlock trick again, I draft him into the military and give him a direct movement order. I then look away for ten seconds, look back, and-

Titan's dead. Peasant isn't. Sort of a reverse on the expectation, there. How'd it happen?

He starts out by biting the mutant titanic abomination, and dances around it like a butterfly until he finally punches its brains out and causes them to splatter like a shotgun blast into the nearby river.

I believe Anusdimple has found itself its hero. The fortress immediately agreed on a resolution (I went into a menu) to give him the profession name of 'Titanslayer'.

(No, he has no military-applicable skills. Or, he didn't, going into this mess. No skills at all, really. Hence his status as Peasant. I think home boy's found his calling now, however.)

I just needed to share that with you. I've been on a DF kick recently, learning the ropes, and this has been the crown jewel so far.

With the Titan safely dead and things returning to normalcy, however, our people can now get back to watching a war between a Forgotten Beast far below the surface and an unknown number of Antmen. The thing showed up (through solid rock, leaving us safe but able to see it with our.... Dwrven.... video cameras?) while the Titan was rampaging above.

Things could have turned out far worse in either sitation, but as it is, Anusdimple suffered zero casualties from this whole business. (Only fatality period so far was one of my orginal, now Legendary miners, who was struck by a Mood but couldn't get his stuff.)

In short:

THIS
IS
ANUSDIMPLE

[Need that somethingawful emoticon with the axe-crazy guy in black. Just imagine that here.]

[Thank you ToadyOne!]
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 11:39:46 pm by HunterBlackLuna »

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Babby's First Titan Kill
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 03:30:47 am »

to the titans:

"We're not stuck up here with you.

You're stuck up here with us."
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 03:54:39 am »

Awesome.

Btw OP, I thought it was spelled baby not babby, unless that was his name somehow.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 04:25:55 am »

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 05:08:45 am »

>2011
>Still entering martial trances
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

Sneaky Walrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Clever Walrus....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 05:57:53 am »

WELL SHIT

Now armour that dwarf up in the best stuff you can find or, alternatively, prevent him from wearing anything but a cape and some pants, and send him against any other FB or Titans that you come across.

I WANT TO SEE YOU EARN THAT TITLE DWARF   
Fire washes the sin off the soul and the skin off the bone. That and I can't be bothered making soap...

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 02:19:05 pm »

reminds me of the time my untrained peasant recruit got caught in an ambush wielding only an axe and his war dog.  He immediatly ran for the hills as his dog charge past him to aid him.  The dog (had a name) was quickly ripped to shreads by the goblins.  Upon this my recruit turned around and engaged the goblins ina 1 vs 8 fight.  No military experience, no armor, nothing but a copper axe.  He then went to chop the goblins to bits.

Summary of the fight:

1st one lost his right hand.  And fled.
2nd lost his left leg.  And fled.
3rd was litterally dissarmed.  And fled.
4th was also dissarmed.  And fled.
5th was chopped in the head.  And died.
6th remained un-injured.  And fled.
7th lost his right leg.  And fled.
8th lost his right hand.  And fled.

A MASSIVE pool of blood.  My recruit then went to take the armour off of the dead guy as well as take the steel axe from one of his other victims.  He then walked over next to the remains of his dog and went into "rest".  Shortly after some of my guys showed up to take him to the hospital and his dead dog to a grave.

The Lesson:  Don't ever fuck with a dwarf's dog, or else he'll fuck your ass up.

My favorite df story that i experience my self.  I felt like this was an oppertune moment to share it.

Oh and i also had a FB show up underground through solid rock.  It engaged the local fish-men in an epic battle, killing 7 out of 8 and ripping the 8th guy's right legg off.  He then engaged it in a multi-year battle during which he took no damage, and ripped out the creatures eye and cut its tail off with his WOODEN SPEAR (unlike the spear's of his comrades his was NOT poisoned).  The battle never concluded as i lost the save file due to my hard-drive breaking =(.
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 03:11:27 pm »

Insane stuff like t
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 03:16:28 pm »

Insane stuff like this is always always fun to see in person.  I had a terrifying embark once, with a single steel clad axedwarf I brought for protection.  A skeletal giant eagle came swooping in and attacked my hen while he was on break.  It felt like forever before he finally grabbed his gear and arrived from the lower halls, and the hen was still fighting it.  The eagle was killed before the hen was even bleeding.

Later, said dwarf murdered a whole herd of skeletal yaks alone in a martial trance after migrants were chased by them into my fortress proper.  Awesome.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

HunterBlackLuna

• Bay Watcher
  • [REQUIRES_LNP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 04:13:48 pm »

Awesome.

Btw OP, I thought it was spelled baby not babby, unless that was his name somehow.

Yeah, I was just referencing 'how is babby formed' and whatnot with the title. My original name for the thread was 'The Hero of Anusdimple' but I dunno.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 07:25:42 pm »

I just had the opposite situation.  I am playing kobold camp, my kobolds are strange bunch, with a massive image sewing economy working off the clothing of the dead.  the camp is two overlapping circles of mud walls dug into a hillside. Once I realized regular capybara could maul my soldiers I built a danger room.  Once I realized the danger room would also maul my soldiers, I resolved to keep trying.  I buried 30 kobolds before producing a team of 7 survivors, scarred but danger room tested--legendary in almost every vital skill.  Goblin began to die very quickly (I had spent a good 7 years sealed off,except for migrants).  Then the titan came

It was a swamp titan, probably our god, because by happenstance, it came right after i bought some gold and built our only gold statue--of a Roc--and made it a temple, framed by beehives (nothing pleases the gods as much as "gluspigus, baby has been stung by a honey bee"), I imagine the swamp titan was offended.  It was a six legged coyote whose long fun was green.  He had deadly blood. 

The entrance to the fort was impregnable to goblins-- a straight run of a stair with neither door nor gate but no railing either, rising 15 levels up, where it crossed 5 weapon traps filled with random crap.  Anything not trapimmune splattered as soon as it tried to cross.

The titan almost crossed when the untrained militia rushed it and forced it off the bridge.  It splattered deadly blood everywhere, but lived and dragged itself along towards the stairs.  The militia got it but not before it left a long trail of blood.  Anyone who touched the blood rotted in the spot touched. And kobolds neither build nor wear shoes.  Everyone starved or died of thirst or disease or madness. The elite militia survived. I'll see what happens to them.

More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 07:15:43 pm »

LOL.

Mighty peasant their sir.
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

HunterBlackLuna

• Bay Watcher
  • [REQUIRES_LNP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 06:19:05 pm »

The Titanslayer is now resting quite grumpily in the hospital after being injured by a Gobbers Snatcher. (What happened to that dodging ability?)

(Every injury and scar was sustained at the hands of Gobbers forces over years of skirmishing.)

(Also notice that he is somehow simultaneously pissed that he was drafted, years ago, angry that he was taken off duty to rest in the hospital, and annoyed at being kept on duty for so long.)

I can't help but think that the happiness of the guy whose main achievement in life was to punch a Titan's brains out needs to be one of my more critical focuses as Fortress Overseer. That, and the fact that many of my other military Dorfs aren't as crack-happy as my other guys since they're not legendary enough to stop complaining about long duty. I'm sorry the Gobbers keep harassing us, it sort of comes with the whole 'enemy' business! They don't hang around the masterful carvings and dining halls and all the stuff that's keeping the rest of the populace ecstatic, as well.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 06:21:17 pm by HunterBlackLuna »

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 01:17:12 pm »

Better hope he doesn't tantrum or he'll tear the fortress down around your ears.
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.