Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question regarding controlled cave-ins and a "sinkhole" fortress  (Read 1100 times)

wrajjt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I recently picked up on playing DF again, and I did so because I got inspired by some pictures taken of the Devil's Mouth sinkhole. Anyway, I remember reading somewhere on this forum before that someone had figured out an efficiant way of creating a sinkhole all the way down to the magma sea via three controlled cave-ins, however, I can't seem to find the thread now (it was probably 5-6 months ago). If someone could link me the thread, I would be grateful, and if not, how would I best go about this project? I did some experimenting, and using "up ramps" and a support was a quick way of creating a small, 10z levels deep sinkhole, however it did not leave a smooth floor at the bottom as I had expected, instead, I had to do alot of pruning down there, which was tedious, and will be even more tedious if I try a circular sinkhole 40 squares across.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question regarding controlled cave-ins and a "sinkhole" fortress
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 09:54:02 am »

For the pruning, you can now use the mouse to designate squares for mining.

I don't know how long it is since you played or if you knew that.
[Signature]

wrajjt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 09:57:17 am »

I seem to remember his method not leaving anything but a smooth floor after the cave-in, so I think I am missing something...

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 10:15:02 am »

Cave ins that fall on semi molten rock will completely disappear, relatively quickly getting rid of potentially quite a few z layers of stone. Is that what you're thinking of?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

wrajjt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 10:23:19 am »

Maybe. I should really look up that damn thread though, I just can't seem to find it :/

edit: well, I found it. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59656.0 consider the thread closed :P
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 10:27:39 am by wrajjt »