Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: I don't understand people's obcession/problems with FPS.  (Read 5634 times)

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
Re: I don't understand people's obcession/problems with FPS.
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2011, 11:59:32 pm »

Most people have an above average number of legs (think about it).
QFT

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2011, 02:55:27 am »

Yeah, that's a good example of why different methods of "average" are appropriate for different tasks. If you're using the mean, then the average number of legs is slightly below two. However, if you use the median or the mode, the number of legs is exactly two.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2011, 08:39:11 am »

Yeah, that's a good example of why different methods of "average" are appropriate for different tasks. If you're using the mean, then the average number of legs is slightly below two. However, if you use the median or the mode, the number of legs is exactly two.

For most intents and purposes "average" is the "mean."  The Mode and Median are likewise useful, but aren't true averages.  They indicate the "largest population" and "the middle of the curve" (i.e. the center of the standard deviation bell).

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2011, 12:04:01 pm »

For most intents and purposes "average" is the "mean."  The Mode and Median are likewise useful, but aren't true averages.  They indicate the "largest population" and "the middle of the curve" (i.e. the center of the standard deviation bell).

For picky sods like me, however, an average is a general term for any measure of central tendency (mean, mode, median, midrange).

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2011, 01:17:56 pm »

Most of the time people mean "mean" when they say "average", but the mean is not the only way of calculating it. What statistics you use to describe an "average" depends on what's more meaningful for the situation. In the case of how many human legs someone has, the median (hell, even the mode) serves that purpose much better than the mean does. After all, it's pretty absurd and ridiculous to say that the average number of legs a person has is 1.9997, or whatever; that's simply not a useful average in any way.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Roflcopter5000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2011, 04:26:34 pm »

If you're interested in quantifying why 30fps sucks when you're used to 100 fps...

What took 30 minutes now takes an hour and 40 minutes.

Direct comparative assessment of familiar values > dickering about the best way to present ratios.

I find anything below about 50 fps to be mildly irritating, and 30 is where I really start to just kind of lose interest. Although this is more tied to the effort involved in processing non-stop waves of 20-30 dwarven immigrants. Even with Dwarf Therapist this ends up being just obnoxious after you hit a certain critical mass of dwarves.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2011, 11:10:38 pm »

I played a 6 FPS fort on 40d until it 'bout drove me crazy.

Oh god, it was awful, I hope I never have to go there again.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2011, 01:42:44 am »

I guess low FPS is bearable if you can afford to let the game run for itself for a while. Schedule plenty of manager tasks, ensure each dwarf has good jobs set up, and start reading through the archivers of your favorite webcomic.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2011, 12:58:26 pm »

I guess low FPS is bearable if you can afford to let the game run for itself for a while. Schedule plenty of manager tasks, ensure each dwarf has good jobs set up, and start reading through the archivers of your favorite webcomic.

This. Once I hit around 40 FPS, I open up a few tabs in my internet browser for these fora, whatever manga scanlations and/or webcomics I'm reading at the time, and a tab for tvtropes so I can start another binge with the random trope button. At that point, I really only alt-tab back over every five minutes or so, to check for significant events, as my forts tend to run themselves by that point.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]