Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dodge-Me Trap  (Read 1416 times)

MrFluffums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dodge-Me Trap
« on: July 15, 2011, 06:28:25 pm »

Any suggestions on how I should modify this?  Are there any more preferable traps?

Note: The idea is to keep them badly wounded, but still mostly alive for my soldiers to beat on, Hence the cage traps

O=Natural Floor
A=Wooden Spear Trap (10)
U=Natural Wall
Z=Cage Trap
^=Up Ramp

Z+0

OXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOZZ
OOAOOAOOAOOAOOAOOAOOAZZZZZ -> Similar setup, 5 deep pit, ends with steel traps mixed (2,2,2,2,2 in each)

Z-1

U^XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXUU
UXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXUU

Z-2

UU^XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXUU
UXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXUU

Z-3

UUU^ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZUU
UZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZUU

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
Re: Dodge-Me Trap
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 04:08:29 am »

I use a dual-trap setup and I make all my paths twist back and forth to make them longer in a small amount of space.  I also put walls in all the corners so that the path is always exactly one tile wide and they have nowhere to dodge except the pits.

The first trap only has a 1z drop.  It's deliberately non-lethal, so that I can funnel the enemies down to the lower layers and keep the upper parts clean.  Once you fall down it, your only way out is to go over a second dodge trap, which leads up the stairs (that gets you to the middle of the upper level of dodge traps.  This secondary trap is very deep and generally lethal.

I also put a few cage traps at the end where the trap actually leads into my fortress, not that anything gets that far.  And a few lethal traps just before that.  The far end has war dogs, who munch on the kobolds and any other trapavoid nasties that try to get through.  I suppose that if I were designing it on a mature fort, I would also include some lever (or repeater)-controlled spike traps at key points.  Just because there's no kill like overkill.

I should also mention that, near the bottom of the pits, I have fortifications one z-level above the bottom, where I can station marksdwarves to finish off any goblins who are not quite dead, but also not quite alive enough to make another run through the gauntlet.  And there are drawbridges that allow access so that I can claim all the goblinite.  Not to mention Dwarven Bathtubs to clean off any grime people would otherwise get all over my nice clean fortress.

Yeah.... I use a fairly involved setup.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Dodge-Me Trap
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 12:48:10 pm »

Much better approach: edit your raws to allow butchering and consumption of sentients and kills, then make a ~14 level deep Dodge This and put a few butchers workshops and kitchens in an alcove, with a stairwell to your meat storage.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable