Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What do you think causes all of the empty forts?  (Read 3054 times)

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
Re: What do you think causes all of the empty forts?
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2011, 06:42:37 am »

i'd have to go with war and child snatchers as well.  with the addition of night creatures.try with no eat, no drink, and no night creatures.  also check for battles, and goblin civs with more humans than goblins.

the current world i'm playing has a lot of empty forts.  it is a large world.  my medium world that i had played before had far less abandoned forts.  my current world has far more night creatures, while the old one was plagued by mainly bandits.

i'd check legends, but i decided on hidden history this world.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Fen

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretly A Kobold Werebull
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2011, 03:15:51 pm »

Maybe some wandering adventurer went mad, hunted in the night by bogeymen, only to take shelter in a fort of an enemy civilization- slowly murdering each guard, and their lord or lady- until finally he gives into the night and is never seen again.

Not that I would know anything about that.
This space for rent

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2011, 07:03:35 am »

just checked legends on my large world.  despite history being for the most part obscured, what i have revealed is somewhat startling.  i have a world full of monsters.  night creatures have an average of eight kills, and two children.  many of the night creatures i have checked have converted more than one human.  only a few of the night creatures i know about are dead.

i never knew night creatures were polygamous.  perhaps that is why some of the families are quite large.  and they go on for generations.  by the year 250, i had more than one liniege of night creature that went on for 5 or more generation.  what's more, although some of the humans were married, none had any children.

i think, somehow, the night creatures are hitting some king of "critical mass" to where they start multiplying geometricly.  i'll have to do a LOT more adventuring, and run a lot of forts all over the world to get the full story, but i have a strong suspicion that empty forts are caused primarily by a proliferation of night creatures.

to anyone else with mass abandoned forts: what does your "bandit to night creature" ratio look like?
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time
Pages: 1 [2]