Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: That's what you get for talking to an elf!  (Read 1131 times)

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
That's what you get for talking to an elf!
« on: July 13, 2011, 06:05:15 am »

Anyway, I had this nice dwarf adventurer, he got a steel battleaxe from the start. Needless to say, he massacred everything left and right, limbs flying, night creatures dying.

But once, I witnessed that bizarre wilderness encounter, elves vs. goblins, and the elves were quite friendly. After killing the gobbos, I talk to one of them, hello, nice to meet you, could you do a few quests for us? Kill this one, and that one, and this guy too. Guess what - they were inhabitants of human towns. I did not even touch anyone yet, and every carpenter and soap-maker went like: "Don't talk to me!". Rude, isn't it? Not only that, he attacked me after, and all the poor sods in the town too. After I depopulated a few villages in self-defense, I wanted to repent somehow, but no. In the end, bogeymen got me, because, I had nowhere friendly to sleep at. How sad.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

iFreshco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: That's what you get for talking to an elf!
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 07:17:26 am »

Couldn't you just sleep in the houses of your victims, or atleast a doorstep?

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 09:42:17 am »

What mods are you using?

If you're using Genesis, it's quite normal for there to be elf civs about.

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 11:31:06 am »

No mods, just vanilla 0.31.25.

And yeah, I probably could sleep in the houses of the people I murdered, but I was a bit disappointed how the game broke up. I originally thought I will be enemy only to those factions whose members I will kill as part of those elven quests, but no. Every human I met since then was: "Don't talk to me", and a smack with a soapmaker's laddle into face after that.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 12:31:49 pm »

Presumably, those Elves were at war with the Humans, and the act of talking to them and asking for quests made you a friend of their civilization and thus an enemy of the Humans...
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 02:02:24 pm »

I actually had a situation like that once, but only humans of a single human civ treated me like a thief. I just moved to another civilization and continued on my questing.
Edit: That game was modded, btw. There were many different races of dwarf and elf, so that may have been a factor.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 03:24:57 am »

this happened to me when badits became friendly after i killed a roc.  i think goblins were friendly till my companions attacked one and reflagged our group as an enemy.  or perhaps i attacked despite a "alt+y" prompt.  either way, i did recruit a bandit, and the local human civ became hostile after that.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
  • This is how smithing works. (For dwarves at least)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 05:26:59 am »

Why do so few people know that mountains and coasts are safe to sleep at if you get there before dark?
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 08:00:39 am »

I know that mountains are safe, but I didn't know about coasts.

So, to sum it up, you became friends with the elves by accepting quests to kill humans, then went and slaughtered a bunch of elves, thus becoming an enemy of both sides?
Sounds like you should've sought out some dorfs.

Dorfs will never give you up.
Dorfs will never let you down.
Dorfs will never run around... and desert you.
(Except when socks are involved)