Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Material sizes.  (Read 816 times)

LordDemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Material sizes.
« on: July 12, 2011, 05:09:40 am »

Itried looking for info, but my search-fu is weak, so I decided to ask instead.

Is there plans to change the items to make them have a "size" in some way.

Currenly elephant hide and Squirrel hide are about the same.

Is there plans to make materials different size?

For example, leather armor to require leather[250] worth of same leather type, and elephant hide being elephant hide[800] and squirrel hide[30], forcing player to gather more smaller hides, or allowing using larger hide to make more?
If you are a goblin, you know you joined the wrong siege when the grates come down and bridge raises behind you, trapping you inside.

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Material sizes.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 06:03:00 am »

If they did implement size like that, I couldn't deck out my archers in kitten leather.

Wait, no, I could. I'd just have to butcher more kittens.
I approve of this movement.
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

LordDemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 06:25:34 am »

It makes most sense in Stone, wood and leather I guess.

I've always thought that dwarfs are wastefull. They can chop down a tree and make either one flute or one table. Or kill an elephant and make mittens of it.
If you are a goblin, you know you joined the wrong siege when the grates come down and bridge raises behind you, trapping you inside.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 06:32:10 am »

Applies vice versa as well. Imagine them building a stone wall that fills exactly the same space they mined it out of. And being able to deconstruct the wall into its component pieces without damaging it at all.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

LordDemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 06:50:01 am »

True. But I think some sort of "amount" would be good.
It might allow combining similar items up to the max amount.

Or maybe allow less experienced workers "waste" material.

Also, it makes would add size difference to the stuff produced.

Solid gold table is worth more then solid gold mug, no matter what simply because of the amount of gold present.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 06:58:17 am »

I think Toady is planning something like that, judging by the properties items already have. I'm not a psychic (at least I won't admit that I am one) so I can't be sure.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 08:17:03 am »

Some items already get a size, namely bars of metal and soap (and ash I guess).  In fact, the soap bars broke the metal bars.  It's supposed to take around 9 bars of metal to forge a breastplate, but the raws say 9.  A bar is 150 units, so if you put 1,350 as the requirement for a breastplate, it will consume 9 bars.  It's just a rounding issue.  That leftover 141 from a non-edited creation is abstracted away.  Similarly with soap, every bathing uses up less than a whole bar.  Toady changed how metal works when he added soap as slowly-used, but he never updated the forges to reflect this change.  When it gets fixed, warfare is going to change drastically.

As for other items, I think eventually you'll see stack numbers used on singular items.  For instance, you might kill a kitten and get cat leather[4].  A cloak would require [10] but mittens require [2], so you could make 2 pairs of mittens but not a cloak.  If a whale gave you leather[200] then you could make 20 cloaks, or just make one cloak and have leather[190] left in the workshop.  This might add some annoying data to the already-existing FPS drag, but more than likely would just cause slightly larger save files instead of lowered fps.  It would also allow things like log[50] and earring only use [1], so you can mass produce small crafts.  Or a wooden spear is [10] so cheap weapons are easier.  It would change a lot of how production works.

Granted, this is my idea.  No idea if Toady will implement this or not, or when.

As for leather, you can edit it slightly.  There's no butcher return for skin, which makes it unique.  Muscle has a unique butcher return, labeled as "meat", lungs have a special return labeled as "prepared lung".  Skin has no such name, and this, apparently, makes it only return 1 item.  You may be able to declare skin as "skin" and make it produce stacks, but the workshop is similar to the bonecrafter, it tends to take a whole stack all at once.  So even if you got Whale Skin[400] the workshop might only produce 1 leather from 1 stack.  Or you could try to make a custom reaction for tanning hides, and attempt to split stacks into multiple leathers.  I think there's a way to specify returns like that.