Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: teaching children  (Read 1682 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: teaching children
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2011, 11:03:55 pm »

Dwarves don't fight back against tame animals.  You'll get dodging up, a lot of scars, and probably some toughness/faster healing, seems like those are raised by sustaining injury.

MrShovelFace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2011, 12:04:54 am »

Throw a child in a pit with a food stockpile for a floor.  Throw food in via dumping it onto a hatch, the stockpile will keep it fresh.  Add 1 female dog.  Come back 12 years later to redeem your Legendary+5 dodging preteen.
Assuming the dog didn't get killed right off by a punch to the brain. (I recall a post about a meat-shield baby that took a stab aimed at the military mother and returned a punch to the gobbo's brain, killing him.)

I'm tempted to enable child labors in my current fort.  Pop cap at 20, Baby cap at 1000/1000%, so the fort grows via internal breeding (assuming they have enough idle time, as I'm discovering).  I've got 32 dwarves right now (after 5 deaths) -- 9 speardwarves, 21 workers and 12 children all below the age of 10 ... and I could really do with a squad of four crossbowdorfs right now.

that makes me thing.. what if a fortress allows for cousins to reproduce for 30 years. Would all the babys be born with 4 beards and four extra alcohol resistant kidney??

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2011, 01:05:20 am »

In thirty years, you wouldn't be getting incest unless it was sibling or parent/child. The first migrants aren't related, they drop enough sprogs for their grandchildren to actually have cousins to get it on with, and even if we assume twelve years as the age of maturity, thirty years isn't long enough for cousins to be able to get it on, given nine months for the first child, another year(?) for the second, twelve years from that until they start breeding with whoever, then another twelve years until the resulting cousins are ready, which puts us at the 26.5 year mark, 0.75+1+12+0.75+12. So the first incest baby would only be three and a half.
 And from what I remember, it takes a couple of generations of regular incest for it to be an issue, genetically. And if the fort's lasted 30+ years, they've probably got bigger problems, like the fact that they're drowning in cats, or megabeasts and forgotten beasts are popping up every five minutes, or the slow accumulation of artifact dragon leather thongs and platinum nugget flutes has made every goblin on the planet decide to "immigrate". Or even worse, every dwarf, and every dwarf brings their cat.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2011, 08:04:17 am »

I've seen children be useful when I need to take down constructions.  Channeling their natural destructive tendencies.

Beyond that it's harvesting and strange moods as has been previously mentioned.  And they come of age as peasants in any case.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2011, 09:06:28 am »

I should try the "Military from a pit" -trick... but wont the kids get a lot of infections that way?

Heck, it may also desensitize them. Works for me.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2011, 10:54:19 am »

Children will move constructions from the [d]esignations menu.  However this doesn't give any skill.  It's just some useless child labor. 
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.
Pages: 1 [2]