Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I need.... POW-UH!  (Read 682 times)

Washcloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I need.... POW-UH!
« on: July 11, 2011, 11:43:05 am »

Guys... I made my first pumpstack today.
several hours, over a ton of of z levels.
you see, its only good sense to create a lake in the desert. on the surface.
Only problem is, i dont have enough power! i have two windmills linked to eachother (thinking it will solve the issue) but they are only produceing 40 dwarf-o-hertz of power.
I need 237 dwarf-o-hertz.
The magma wiki seems to be vauge (at best) about power, and dosent explain how to increase power to the levels im going to need.
Please, fellow terraformers, tell me what to do!

Thanks! :D
"My dwarves seem to have Terminal Party Syndrome; i can't get them to stop partying all of a sudden"- RCIX

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: I need.... POW-UH!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 11:53:29 am »

Just link more windmills to the already existing ones. If you created the pumpstack like you should (as in the wiki) all of the pumps will transfer power to each other.

Washcloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 11:58:27 am »

i see :( i was hoping there was like. some crazy dwarf trick buuut, yeaah more windmills it is.. hard to do when thers no bloody wood on the map. already decimated the caverns forest ages ago for beds an such.
"My dwarves seem to have Terminal Party Syndrome; i can't get them to stop partying all of a sudden"- RCIX

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 12:01:02 pm »

Psssh. Windmills.

What you need is a Dwarven Water Reactor. One with four wheels should be sufficient.

Channel out an area in this pattern:

X  X  X  X
X  X  X  X
X  X  X  X
  X  X  X

Build a screw pump in each of the non-channeled spaces, like so:

X   X   X   X
X%X%X%X
X%X%X%X
   X   X  X

Then, build a water wheel in each of the channeled spaces, leaving the bottom three spaces open, like so:

-   -   -    -
-%-%-%-
-%-%-%-
  X   X  X

Designate the still-open spaces as ponds to be filled, making sure you have enough buckets and a nearby source of water. Connect one of the waterwheels to the top pump of the stack, making sure to leave a way to cut off the power when you're done pumping (a gear assembly can be connected to a lever for this purpose). Voila, you should have a working water reactor-powered pump stack. Have a dwarf start the pump stack manually by operating one of the pumps in the reactor; he should only need to operate it for a second before it starts producing its own power.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

Washcloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 12:08:05 pm »

:D thanks for the reply.. for some reason my dwarves like to take a few centuries to fill ponds (4 buckets, no wood. waiting for traders) but once the glorious sweat of armok comes up from the caverns, ill kick in some water wheels and deconstuct some of thos wind mills to get mah wood back!

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 12:12:09 pm »

The way to get dwarves to actually fill up ponds in a timely manner is to designate multiple overlapping pond zones. The way it is now, one dwarf at a time gets assigned to fill a pond, so if you have ten overlapping pond zones, you can have a ten-dwarf bucket brigade.

Also, dig out a tree farm or something. No wood is sad fortress.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 12:24:02 pm »

Also, dig out a tree farm or something. No wood is sad fortress.

No wood means no possibility to offer elves wooden goods :(

You must get wood.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Washcloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 12:33:29 pm »

Goodness.. i dident even know about the multi pond trick. it all makes sense now! and as for the elves... well... They are just lucky i let them live.
FOR NOW!!!!! *CHIZKA-BOOoooOooM*
Mwhahahahahahahahahahah