Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Two Things One Hand?  (Read 1438 times)

Fire_fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Two Things One Hand?
« on: July 09, 2011, 07:26:12 pm »

Got a badass dwarf who stopped a FB from entering the fort. He lost an arm in the process of saving my fort and I thaught it was going to die so I made him a really bad ass tomb. Well he did survive - one arm.So I game him a crap ton of war dogs meat shields so he could kick more ass. Well I was looking at him and I saw that he had a shield and a war hammer in one hand. I thought that he only had a shield in one hand and thats all he could hold. Not to mention that in his medical history it says "Ability to grasp somewhat impaired" so losing an arm only makes it less hard to hold things for a dwarf. Anyone else had really bad ass military dwarfs with missing limbs before?

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
Re: Two Things One Hand?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 08:37:54 pm »

sure.  one of my best swardsdwarves is minus a foot and a hand.  uses a crutch and a +adamantine shortsword+ like it's going out of style.  come to think of it, perhaps a third of my current force are legendary crutch walkers now.  if you didnt know, a crutch goes in a hand.  i suppose shields are "strapped on to the arm" in situations like this, but i do note that my handless and footless swordsdwarf can not use a shield.  crutch and sword are in the same hand.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 01:00:58 am »

Perhaps he attached the sword to the crutch with some dwarven variant of duct tape?

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 02:02:18 am »

Perhaps he attached the sword to the crutch with some dwarven variant of duct tape?

Magma?
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

i874236951

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 08:43:37 am »

sure.  one of my best swardsdwarves is minus a foot and a hand.  uses a crutch and a +adamantine shortsword+ like it's going out of style.  come to think of it, perhaps a third of my current force are legendary crutch walkers now.  if you didnt know, a crutch goes in a hand.  i suppose shields are "strapped on to the arm" in situations like this, but i do note that my handless and footless swordsdwarf can not use a shield.  crutch and sword are in the same hand.
I've currently got a dude with all 3 in one hand... haven't seem him fight again yet, so I'm not sure if he's broken or anything:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 09:45:33 pm »

I've currently got a dude with all 3 in one hand... haven't seem him fight again yet, so I'm not sure if he's broken or anything:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

you CAN do all three with one hand in adventure mode, but getting the dwarves to do it is a pain.  this one wouldent do all three and only did crutch + shield or crutch + sword.  if i looked, i might find one of my own with all three.  then again, if i looked, i'd bet that most of my dwarves are using a single boot.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

The Button

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 10:31:23 pm »

I tried dual wielding in adventure mode but I guess weapons go straight into a specific hand and shields into the other even if both hands are free.  At least he can still use a sword, I had a miner once who whilst diging the plug in order to bipass the aquifier layer fell into the hole amidst the dust that flew forward.  He broke both hands and had to sit twiddling his thumbs whilst the fort began its very short life.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 01:26:56 am »

I've got a militia captain wielding two shields and a sword. :O