Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Question about pump stacks  (Read 1225 times)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
Re: Question about pump stacks
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2011, 10:52:52 pm »

Well, I've learnt two things; 1: You cant power a water wheel with falling water.  2: i should remember to supervise properly when filling a water reservoir for my magma level.  Dwarf the Bilge Pumps!

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2011, 12:22:35 am »

if you have an aquifer or other infinite water source i strongly suggest using it to directly fill your reactors. it takes some extra care to remember to reset the water pressure, but if you do it right your reactors should always be filled to the correct level and never overflow.

and my water reactors tend to look something like this

Code: [Select]
Z= 0

#########
#.......#
#SWWWWWS#
#sWWWWWs#
#.WWWWW.#
#########

z = -1

#########
#~~~~~~~#
##~~~~~##
##~~~~~##
#~~~~~~~#
#########

# = wall
. = Open Space
Ss = Screw Pump - little "s" is walkable tile
W = water wheel
~ = water

i find that the water reactors featured on the wiki run dry relatively quickly, where this design keeps running for much longer, and i've tested this design with up to seven wheels between the pumps and the power output is pretty much constant. 600-700 Uristwatts is usually more than enough power for my forts.
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2011, 01:36:42 am »

Trying building one of those now.  If i can build it correctly, it'll power a good ol' magma pump stack.  Those dirty elves are gonna regret declaring war on Knifemurders...

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2011, 08:13:01 am »

i find that the water reactors featured on the wiki run dry relatively quickly, where this design keeps running for much longer, and i've tested this design with up to seven wheels between the pumps and the power output is pretty much constant. 600-700 Uristwatts is usually more than enough power for my forts.

I've got it built and it's not starting.  Do i need to prime it? I had it working at a failed point where the place was flooding out, but it was only doing 100 Uristwatts of output.  It's the same design as your example, with 5 waterwheels

It's putting out 500uW and pumping MAGMA.  It LIIIIIIVES.  Oh those surface-dwellers are gonna pay....
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 08:32:20 am by ThatAussieGuy »

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2011, 08:56:11 pm »

Glad to be of assistance  :D

and i didn't include it in my diagram, but it's wise to put a couple of hatches over the intake tiles. connect these to a lever for a convenient shut off switch. and yes you need to manually start the pumps every time you want to do a cold start, no matter what reactor design you use.

Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2011, 09:17:16 pm »

Just one problem - I don't know if it's supposed to, but the power fluctuates from 300 to 500uW as it cycles round.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2011, 10:09:56 pm »

and yes you need to manually start the pumps every time you want to do a cold start, no matter what reactor design you use.

Not quite true. If you keep the reservoir below the pumps dry and instead keep the water held in a cistern above all the machinery, you can stratigically let the water drop through a linked hatch into the reservoir so that it kick-starts the waterwheels and turns the pumps on. It's a little more complicated, and making it repeatable would complicate it further, but for the mad dwarf scientist there is no such thing as a simple solution!

(I got this idea after this one time I was filling up the reservoir of my monstrous reactor (mentioned on the first page) and the act of filling it up turned enough waterwheels to turn the whole thing on.)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 10:13:14 pm by BloodBeard »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2011, 10:19:01 pm »

Yeah, that was pretty much why i asked.  It happened to me when i was building one of the standard design to see if i could make it work.  It kicked off on it's own just from the dwarves filling it with buckets

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2011, 11:37:28 pm »

Just one problem - I don't know if it's supposed to, but the power fluctuates from 300 to 500uW as it cycles round.

this is normal, and one of the downfalls of this design. the pathing of water is random so some wheels may not receive flow for a few steps. usually there's enough water in front of the wheels to automatically restart the reactor if it stalls.

i suggest building a reactor design featured on the wiki if you don't like the power fluctuation.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 11:44:52 pm by andyman564 »
Pages: 1 [2]