Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What is the strangest migrant you've gotten?  (Read 4484 times)

Vaugher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is the strangest migrant you've gotten?
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2011, 01:13:31 am »

Not sure if it counts, but I just got a migrant wave of 26 dwarves at once, three of them being very good smiths, one of them being a VERY good soldier.

automaton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2011, 05:17:32 am »

a legendary surgeon and wound dresser.
best migrant ever.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2011, 05:47:39 am »

I get a huge number of master surgeons/butchers - with talents in both those skills, I'm NOT making them Chief Medical Dwarf.

And I just got a high master furnace operator (I can live with that)/ proficient small animal dissector (what you do in your spare time is your own business).

Edit - or the ones with EVERY farming skill active, but no experience or skill in any of them?  Marks for trying...
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 05:50:32 am by Pukako »

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2011, 07:37:05 am »

High Master (or something else very high) fish dissector + fisherdwarf in the middle of a desert. Sigh. I never fish anyway so I'm always a bit resentful towards high skill fishers.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2011, 10:33:38 am »

I got a dwarf who had a wife, a child and two pets.

He was often sad and dejected and he was getting used to tragedy. I wondered why? Well it appears he had the only skills in the family. his wife was an overweight novice fish dissector with a bad temper.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2011, 08:15:45 am »

Back when it was possible, I once got a Liar and a Thief at the same time, and nobody else.
Your fortress wasn't named watchtower, was it?

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2011, 08:28:03 am »

i had a migrant wave that was a mechanic dad, a soldier mum, and their 5 children. and they walked right into a siege.

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2011, 08:55:43 am »

I get a huge number of master surgeons/butchers - with talents in both those skills, I'm NOT making them Chief Medical Dwarf.

And I just got a high master furnace operator (I can live with that)/ proficient small animal dissector (what you do in your spare time is your own business).

Edit - or the ones with EVERY farming skill active, but no experience or skill in any of them?  Marks for trying...

"Aye, this one won't make it, put him in the grinder, and this one and this one and this one and this one all won't make it neither, grinder ASAP."
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2011, 01:28:53 pm »

"Hmm, presumably, if I use 99 parts charcoal and 1 part animal meat instead of 100 parts charcoal, I can save enough charcoal for one smelting in, umm, 100 smeltings! No, wait, 99!"

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Jimlad11

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert insightful text here
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2011, 01:42:21 pm »

deleted
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 01:30:53 pm by Jimlad11 »
☼Cat Tallow Biscuits☼...Mmmm...

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2011, 01:48:30 pm »

Never touched a tool in my life.

A slight mistake there, only miners and woodcutters use tools, people like smiths for example dont.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2011, 02:18:21 pm »

When workshops are built, they presumably have tools in them.  I once had a soapmaker I was going to execute as per my 5 per wave rule, when I noticed he was an expdrienced swords dwarf. I guess he makes soap as a hobby.

Mimidormi

• Bay Watcher
  • Magnetite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2011, 02:53:12 pm »

I had the occasional peasant 'adequate liar', and doctor that moonlights as a dissector or butcher. Once i got even a proficient biter, but he/she was proficient in other military skills too, so it's not too weird.

I think my strangest is in my actual fortress, though. Ineth Tiristunal, novice wood burner and novice persuader. I wonder if he talks to the logs like some talk to their plants, and he tries to persuade them to enter the stove, or if his brand of persuasion is letting people know that he is the only one with access to an out-of-the-way, isolated furnace. Or he just blackmails elves, perhaps?
Pages: 1 [2]