Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shoreside volcano  (Read 1349 times)

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Shoreside volcano
« on: July 09, 2011, 10:30:15 am »

So I don't know if this is still the case, but I had read somewhere that oceanside volcanos were extremely rare and fairly coveted. I have happened to generate one. Ok, well there's a slight problem. The volcano isn't quite as, uhh, oceanside as I would like. In fact, it's umm... well... uhh... how can I say this... IN the ocean, as opposed to being beside it. Minor issues of course. I was considering just using DFliquids to obsidianize the opening so that the water didn't fall in, but then I noticed it lacks iron. :( Still worth playing? Valuable map?

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shoreside volcano
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 10:32:29 am »

Lacks all 4 kinds of iron?
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 10:37:07 am »

Lacks all 4 kinds of iron?
If I were to play it, the only iron available would come from goblins. Metals available are gold, silver, and zinc.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 10:43:06 am »

Gold is pretty valuable as a working material, and silver makes great hammers.  Goblinite is the main source of all militant DF players' iron anyways, so yeah I'd say that's a decently valuable map.

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 10:46:15 am »

Gold is pretty valuable as a working material, and silver makes great hammers.  Goblinite is the main source of all militant DF players' iron anyways, so yeah I'd say that's a decently valuable map.

The value was more directed at the shoreside volcano, less so the metals. I played in 40d and .19, I'm sure I can figure out a way to get my steel. :P

Rentorian

• Bay Watcher
  • It's amazing what you can do without a conscience
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 03:11:26 pm »

The biggest value of having a volcano of any kind is the fact that magma either requires no pumps to get what you want, death traps, magma forges, etc.  Or that it requires very few to do so instead of making a 100+ high pump stack.
So from what I can see the map is still pretty valuable.  Precious metals to make trade goods from, plenty of fish, plenty of water for whatever you need, and easy access to magma.
Sometimes I find myself sitting around asking myself, "Why?"
Then I come to my senses and respond "Well why the hell not?"

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 04:27:39 pm »

No metals to make armor or good bolts. So if you want to kill your goblins, you'll have to either kill them with bone/wood/silver bolts, or fight them with hard to get metal from the caravans. The metal industry will be a bitch to start. But once that's done, it'll be a good map.

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 07:34:27 am »

Are you sure you're within access to the goblins? It'd be a pity if you couldn't get goblinite because you're classed as in the ocean or something.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 08:02:30 am »

cmon man! I've been trying for an ocean volcano for ages now!

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 08:04:45 am »

never had iron or steel or flux for what it mattered in one of my forts.
Had flux stone taken from the liasons, bought off all iron from merchants, and voilà.
Only problem is setting up traps and walls for the occasional ambusher squads...but it's not difficult to go far even without iron.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Umune

• Bay Watcher
  • Not all who wander are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 12:00:09 pm »

Several silver hammers, some silver spiked balls, a properly laid out corridor, and one counterambush.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 01:30:49 pm »

I've only ever seen a volcanoe on the actual beach section of an embark once. I generally consider them to be beyond rare... I've seen far more submerged volcanoes.

Anyways here is the link to the one I did see. If you want to try genning it now, you can. I genned this one back in like .12 I think. So no guarentees on it working anymore.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=64032.msg1521068#msg1521068

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 04:14:47 pm »

My questioning of value was related to if the embark was valuable, I have played my large fair share of forts, I'm sure I can play the map.

Guessing by Patchy's and Gamerlord's comments, the embark is pretty valuable. I also just generated a SECOND one of these, however the volcano is not submerged, making it a bit better. The downside is the lack of iron again, however goblins can provide it as mentioned earlier. Copper is the only metal available.

For those interested, I'm genning pocket regions with a rather large amount of volcanoes for the map size. Seems to be working, as I'm getting a few each map that are CLOSE however these two are so far the only two worth using.