Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf pop questions.  (Read 508 times)

accoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf pop questions.
« on: July 08, 2011, 03:49:45 pm »

Is it possible to limit the amount of migrant waves you can have, but not limit the amount of kids your fortress can have?

Have awesome idea for story!
Dwarves old home slaughtered, only few survive, embark in a new area wanting to rebuild. Obviously can't have wave after wave of migrants if a civ is meant to be nigh on destroyed, but it would be nice to be able to multiply and bring back the glory!

I am a d_init noob though, so no clue.
Stand there pondering all the great mysteries of the DF universe.  The last thing going through his head being of course the Atom Smasher.

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf pop questions.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 03:56:36 pm »

Set your population cap to zero. You'll get two or so waves, which should leave you at under twenty immigrants (including the first seven). The d_init settings for children explains what the fields all relate to, but

This allows you to control the number of babies+children in your fortress.  The first number is an absolute cap on the number of babies+children.  The second is a percentage of the current number of adults in your fortress (the default is the essentially meaningless 1000% here).  The lower number is used as the cap.  The cap only prevents further pregancies, so migrant children, multiple births and existing pregnancies from old saves can still push you over the cap.  Setting either number to zero will disallow pregnancies in the fortress.

BABY_CHILD_CAP:100:22 would give you an absolute cap of one-hundred children, and at most twenty-two percent of the adult population, for example.
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

accoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 04:03:51 pm »

So if I set my pop cap to zero, I'll still be able to have children regardless? Does pop cap only control migration? Hmm... interesting.
Stand there pondering all the great mysteries of the DF universe.  The last thing going through his head being of course the Atom Smasher.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 04:06:36 pm »

Read the quote more closely. Setting a pop cap will restrict further pregnancies. I missed that the first time.

It looks like the only way to block immigrants and still have babies is to block off your fortress from the migrants and keep a high cap. That, or find a dead civilization. They're pretty common, especially with a longer history.