Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cant train animals  (Read 885 times)

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
Cant train animals
« on: July 07, 2011, 10:36:06 pm »

No matter where I put the dog, pet or not pet, available or not available, I always get "Cancels job: no such creature" when I try to train it.
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
Re: Cant train animals
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 11:59:35 pm »

Pets certainly won't be trained.

Have you got the animals caged or pastured? I tend to cage puppies and let adults back out when I need some trained. If they're pastured, it may be that the dogs are claimed by a "pen/pasture animal" job.

Did you try tearing down and rebuilding the kennels?

Is this a vanilla or modded install?

Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

Lancezh

• Bay Watcher
  • Noob Inc
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 07:14:02 am »

Remember that you can't train puppy's either, you have to wait for them to be grown up.

i874236951

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 08:31:28 am »

Have you got the animals caged or pastured? I tend to cage puppies and let adults back out when I need some trained. If they're pastured, it may be that the dogs are claimed by a "pen/pasture animal" job.
Are pastured animals considered valid for training even if they aren't tasked?  I thought only wandering, non-caged, non-pastured animals worked, because they come to the kennels on their own, after the trainer gets there and starts the task (i.e. they aren't "dragged").

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 08:35:03 am »

^The above

I finally understood how to get animals to train. They have to have the tag of course, and they have to be tame, and they have to NOT be assigned to a pasture or a restraint.
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 08:46:11 am »

Pastured animals can be trained if the kennel is built inside the pasture.  In my fortresses I usually dig out one room where I build the kennel, and then assign the room as a pasture where I put all animals that I might want to train.  It works out pretty well.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.