Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 1st Fortress, accidentally flooded, HELP! (Im a noob)  (Read 843 times)

Goodwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
1st Fortress, accidentally flooded, HELP! (Im a noob)
« on: July 09, 2011, 08:21:22 pm »

So I was trying to irrigate some land, so I dug into a small pond (underground), and the water is out of control! How can I get it out?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: 1st Fortress, accidentally flooded, HELP! (Im a noob)
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 08:28:37 pm »

Did you install a floodgate?  If no, do damage control quickly.  Place walls/floors to stop the flooding as far as you can, and then ignore that area of the fort.

Remember, death is a learning experience, and pain is your tutor.  Learn from your mistakes so the next fort will do better.  Many times the lesson learned cannot be applied to the current fort, as the lesson is death and debauchery.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 09:43:20 pm »

Drop a channel in from above one of the flooded tunnels and get a screw pump going to channel the water somewhere.  You might want to dig out a reservoir for it all.  Roughly the same size as the original pond.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 12:08:52 am »

If it is a small pond, the water will eventually evaporate once it spreads out to a depth of 1. If your excavated area is small, just dig out a area to let it spread so it will drain. Once that is done, go wall up the breach in the ponds wall. Least you did not breach a river or stream. ;)
 Also, constructing doors are good insurance against boo boos involving water or magma.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 12:40:23 am »

Doors are fun because a dwarf will open it, but fluids will not.  They're a good way to have a dwarf dig open a tile, then run out.  the door slams shut after them, automatically blocking the water.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 02:32:09 am »

I don't understand how you people flood your fortresses so much. I've never flooded one of mine and it not been intentional.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 02:49:32 am »

This is your first fort you say?

Well congratulations for your first experience of FUN in fortress Mode!  :D

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 04:35:56 am »

Also, if its a pond, no big deal as eventually it will run out of water, which will spread to 1/7 then evaporate. now, if you have dug into the sea, a river/stream/brook/map edge lake or underground cavern lake which reaches the map edge, thats a bigger problem. try sticking to soil layers for farming as these do not need irrigation.
This is a blank sig.

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 04:54:32 am »

ive had a worse one when i was channeling out a brook for my waterwheels, and then i punhed a hole letting water flood my fully dug out workshop and stockpile areas. i hadnt started storing stuff there but it was a pain in the ass to redig new levels
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 06:40:08 am »

My most recent flood was a real learning experience.

I had tunneled out underneath a lake, just one level below the lake-bed itself and immediately above an Aquifer layer. I was installing a hydrodynamic power station in the Aquifer layer (to power my magma pump-stack) and had constructed some walls to contain the spillage from my prototype turbines. Having finished testing a series of prototypes and settled on a final production design, I started dismantling the retaining walls... and the whole lake suddenly started pouring in through a hole in the ceiling!

... up until then, I had no idea that removing a constructed wall would also automatically remove the natural dirt floor on the level above. Now I know. Fortunately, I was in a temperate climate and the entire lake froze a few days later. I was able to make repairs before it un-froze again.
Never pet a burning dog.