Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Newb: All my dwarfs are dying of thirst.  (Read 2844 times)

jens03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Newb: All my dwarfs are dying of thirst.
« on: July 06, 2011, 04:30:06 pm »

Suddenly all my dwarf dicides not at to drink anything and die. i have 45 bodies and counting.. I have a nice river in front of my gates. its like the dwarf only want booze and I think am out of plump helmet seeds at the moment.
How can I make the dwarfs drink the water?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 04:32:24 pm by jens03 »

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Newb: All my dwarfs are dying of thirst.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 04:34:13 pm »

Build a well--you'll need rock blocks, a rope/chain a mechanism and a bucket.  But you should be brewing booze anyway.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Carpman

• Bay Watcher
  • need not work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 04:36:03 pm »

Dwarves shouldn't need a well to drink... it removes a negative thought but if they get thirsty they should go to any water source. Are you sure they can access the river?

Naina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 04:37:36 pm »

Dwarfs *do* prefer to drink alcohol - it's the only way they can stand our insane and often suicidal orders!

They will drink water if they have no alcohol and access to water. If they're not drinking from your river, try the following things.
  o Make sure they have access. Sometimes the level of the river is one z-level down. Your dwarfs need to be able to walk right up to the edge.
  o Make sure the water is not salty. Try designating a drinking zone with the i menu. Draw a square including the bank and some water. If it says you have 0 available squares for drinking, your water is salty and you'll need to construct a work-around.
  o Try building a well over the river. You'll need a stone block, a rope, a bucket, and a mechanism to do this.

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 04:40:53 pm »

Suddenly all my dwarf dicides not at to drink anything and die. i have 45 bodies and counting.. I have a nice river in front of my gates. its like the dwarf only want booze and I think am out of plump helmet seeds at the moment.
How can I make the dwarfs drink the water?

This happened to me once.
Do you saw earlier a dwarf drinking from that river?
Some rivers are actually salty water, they wont drink it.
Do a zone on the coast of the river. If the "water source" tiles are zero no matter where you set it, then it is salt water.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 05:23:45 pm by Krelian »

Wurgel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 05:20:53 pm »

and make sure you didnt activate the alarm-burrow in the military menue.

as long as that is active, they wont leave it to drink

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 05:27:40 pm »

See if you've set "Zone-Only Drinking" (press "o", then "z").  If that's on, either turn it off with "d", or set up an activity zone next to the river and make it a drinking zone.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 06:00:43 pm »

Also try sending all your idle dwarfs to gather any available plants. The berries/etc can be brewed.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 06:26:17 pm »

A healthy fort uses water only for injured dwarves, healthy ones should ALWAYS drink alcohol. When you grow crops as food brew some into alcohol as well. Drinking water will give negative thoughts.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

jens03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 04:42:19 pm »

Disaster has struck. Metalcouncil seem doomed. Out of 88 residents only 13 is alive. I figured the problem was a lack of buckets. I ordered my carpenter to produce
loads of buckets but with no obvious effect.

I tried to channel water into the mail hall. The dwarfs went crazy and threw themselves in the channel, proceeding to die of thirst standing in 2/7 dept of muddy water.
Now I panicked , ordered the carpenter to make loads of coffins and closed down the meeting area in the main hall and setting up a new one at a pond in the outside.
Tantrum spirals followed. Blood and murder everywhere.  the carpenter was beaten do death at the workbench. It was such fun.
A few able bodied dwarfs made it to the pond continued to wack each others in the brink.
The survivors include 2 legendary miners and the mayor.  Dont mess with a steel pick. 

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 05:21:34 pm »

You do know that dwarfs go insane if they don't get booze right? There's a reason why it says in all of their descriptions they need it to survive the working day.. No amount of water will substitute.

rridgway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 05:22:31 pm »

Disaster has struck. Metalcouncil seem doomed. Out of 88 residents only 13 is alive. I figured the problem was a lack of buckets. I ordered my carpenter to produce

I tried to channel water into the mail hall. The dwarfs went crazy and threw themselves in the channel, proceeding to die of thirst standing in 2/7 dept of muddy water.
Now I panicked , ordered the carpenter to make loads of coffins and closed down the meeting area in the main hall and setting up a new one at a pond in the outside.
Tantrum spirals followed. Blood and murder everywhere.  the carpenter was beaten do death at the workbench. It was such funFun.
A few able bodied dwarfs made it to the pond continued to wack each others in the brink.
The survivors include 2 legendary miners and the mayor.  Dont mess with a steel pick.

Fixed. Anyway, from the sounds of that, it's definitely a lack of booze, compounded by a salty water source. Just hold up and wait for migrants. Then fix it.

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 06:16:16 pm »

Tantrum spirals followed. Blood and murder everywhere.  the carpenter was beaten do death at the workbench. It was such fun.

Smells like Dwarf Fortress.
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.