Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about sieges and ambushes  (Read 741 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question about sieges and ambushes
« on: July 08, 2011, 04:41:57 am »

I believe that ambushes will add up over years, but what about sieges and surface megabeasts?

I have a no dwarf, no elf, limited humans world I'm running now that hasn't seen any caravans from humans in 20 years.  There were a couple goblin snatchers in year 2 before I sealed up tight to grow the fortress safely, so I know there are goblins near.

When I do finally open up the huge trap system to the outside world, should I expect to see hundreds of goblins all of a sudden pop up on the screen?

Does the fact that I have nobody with appraisal skill (it rusted off the one dwarf who had it) mean that nobody knows what my fort is worth, so they can't calculate if they should attack me?  Heh.

I'll find out one way or another in another 10-20 game years I suppose, when I open up Torcheven to the outside world.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
Re: Question about sieges and ambushes
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 04:46:54 am »

Sieges will show up immediatly as they enter the map, ambushes could still be hidden so you'll probably encounter a few when you open the door to the outside world. Gobbo's will still know your wealth somehow.

Maybe the next traders will encounter some ambushes.
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 04:49:57 am »

Sieges will show up immediatly as they enter the map, ambushes could still be hidden so you'll probably encounter a few when you open the door to the outside world. Gobbo's will still know your wealth somehow.

Maybe the next traders will encounter some ambushes.

There has never been a trader.  Not one, which is why I'm wondering how bad it's going to be when I finally do open the doors, lol.
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 04:50:28 am »

Pretty damn bad in that case then, have !!FUN!!.
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 08:02:25 am »

Ambushes don't pile up.  The ambush party will leave eventually, usually after 1-2 seasons.  A siege party leaves after 1 year usually, just in time to be replaced by next year's.

frodo0800

• Bay Watcher
  • Son of Ilúvatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 08:09:49 am »

are you on an island?

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 10:57:33 am »

are you on an island?

Nope, generated a 17x17 world with only dwarves, humans, and goblins, and haven't seen any humans yet.

*note*  My fort are the only dwarves left - no more dwarf civ.  I'm not sure the human civ is still around, it might have gone poof in the last 20 years.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 10:59:58 am by Farmerbob »