Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: So hopelessly confused  (Read 3479 times)

Dizzard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So hopelessly confused
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2011, 02:52:10 pm »

Should I set the history to the shortest possible?

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2011, 02:53:14 pm »

Yep.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Dizzard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2011, 02:55:11 pm »

Any other suggestions for generating a new world that might be useful for a new player? You know the options you can change around before you make a new world.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2011, 03:00:54 pm »

More minerals.
More civilizations.
Medium world.

Dizzard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2011, 03:28:05 pm »

I just made another world with a history of 125 years (short) and the first two fortresses I come across are still abandoned. :/

The people of Dwarf Fortress don't seem to like keeping their fortresses much huh?

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2011, 03:30:24 pm »

No, it's those damn goblins.

Dizzard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2011, 03:35:28 pm »

Actually I just came across another fortress and it had grass but I found an axeman inside who agreed to join me.

It's odd that lived in fortresses have grass....are they all naturists?

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2011, 03:38:01 pm »

They're secretly elves, but you don't know that yet.

Isher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2011, 03:40:49 pm »

Actually I just came across another fortress and it had grass but I found an axeman inside who agreed to join me.

It's odd that lived in fortresses have grass....are they all naturists?

It's like the grounds inside a keep, they don't worry about the ground so much as the towers around it. Stupid humans.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2011, 02:22:20 am »

Yeah, the forts don't even have ceilings.

Dizzard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2011, 05:56:36 pm »

It's funny how the civilians like to sleep out in the courtyard so much.

Very odd behavior. :p

Ascaronth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2011, 09:02:29 pm »

First time I tried adventure mode I was totally lost. A couple of quick tips.

(r)emoving something from your inventory (or while you wear it) will put it in your hand. That's how you equip things.
you can hold an infinite number of items as of this version. To drop something, you have to hit 'd', but you can't drop something you're wearing, so you'll have to remove it first.
If you find boogeymen, run. Don't sleep alone at night outside, and if possible don't sleep outside even during the day, wild animals could come wandering, or you could be ambushed.
When you'll be geared/skilled enough, you can consider fighting bogeyman. It's easier with a slashing weapon or with a good wrestling skills.

With slashing weapons, just slash at their lower body, and if you're skileld anough (and actually hit them), you'll most probably split them in half.
If you have a good wrestling skill, bite them in the lower body until "you latch on firmly" and then shake them and you'll most probably rip them in half.
The way to do this last thing is: Aimed attack (uppercase A when you're near an enemy), press b for lower body, press whatever letter to bite.
Repeat until you get the message "you latch on firmly". If it takes too long, stop. Don't get surrounded.
After the message, perform another (A)imed attack, press Enter to wrestle, press 'a' to select the bogeyman, press Enter to select "Wrestle using your upper right tooth" (or whatever tooth that is), then press Enter to select "Shake ... bla bla".

Also, you can consider training to increase your skills and chance of survival, if you want.

Also also: Speed is important. And shields. Without a shield, you'll be dead meat sooner than later, with it (and good shield user skill) you're basically a tank.
You can also equip more than a shield, but most consider it cheating. It's a single player game though, you can do whatever you want.

Report back for any problem, question, idea or whatever. Just remember that you WILL incur some of the most gruesome deaths (both in adventurer and fortress mode) you could imagine, but that's part of the fun.

And finally a forum related advice. "fun" is the usual meaning of fun, while "Fun" is Fun

Yay wall of text x_x
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 09:05:01 pm by Ascaronth »

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2011, 09:16:25 pm »

Also, abandoned fortresses are still safe to sleep in as long as you're in the central keep. The same goes for abandoned towns.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2011, 10:10:48 pm »

Quick explanation.

Press Shift+/ (or ? to be specific)

Hit enter.

Boom. Keybindings.

Those will help you a lot. Once you're used to keybindings, you'll be zipping through menus like nobody's business. Believe me. I've once broken both of an elf's arms, stabbed his upper body through with a longsword, let go of the longsword, then punched him in the head until he died.

If I tried to do that when I first started playing, it would've taken me 10 minutes. As it was, it took me less than 2.

Learn the keybindings.

Also, memorize these two -
Alt+(Direction) = Forced movement. Useful if you need to jump off a cliff (You probably won't survive) or into a river.

Shift + a = Specific Attacking. This is very useful when you want to attack a specific enemy and bodypart. Want to lop off that groundhog's legs? Go for it.

Next, start getting used to what stuff is. Letters are always other living, breathing creatures. The arrows up and down are slopes. They lead to different levels of terrain. And the stuff that looks like water... that's water.

Other than that, just follow your instincts. You'll die many, many times, but that's okay, because the game shouldn't be too easy.

Oh, and one more thing...

Have Fun.
Pages: 1 [2]