Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fallout one problem  (Read 1080 times)

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
Fallout one problem
« on: July 10, 2011, 03:03:49 pm »

I've been having a problem in the original Fallout game where the game completely freezes the computer itself. I can't turn it off, I can't minimize the game, and I can't open task manager. My only resort is to unplug the computer. Any solutions?

I'm running it on Windows 7 professional 64 bit, on an Intel core duo HP Touch smart model, Nvidia Geforce 93000M GS.

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout one problem
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 03:59:42 pm »

did you try the obvious? running it in windows compatibility mode? as in "windows 98/Me" ?
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

Soralin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 04:35:39 pm »

Or go a step further and use DOSBox. :)

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 04:47:17 pm »

I bought it on steam, so I'm not sure I'll be able to run it on DOSbox. How do I run it on windows compatibility mode again?

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 04:58:09 pm »

I bought it on steam, so I'm not sure I'll be able to run it on DOSbox. How do I run it on windows compatibility mode again?

err i think the dosbox thing was a joke, it's not a dos game :p

can't help you with windows 7, i'm still on XP sp3, but you should try right clicking and see what options you have.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 06:31:09 pm »

err i think the dosbox thing was a joke, it's not a dos game :p

can't help you with windows 7, i'm still on XP sp3, but you should try right clicking and see what options you have.

Actually, there is a DOS version of the game in addition to Windows and Mac OS

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 09:33:18 pm »

Yeah, I'd say that trying to run it in compatibility mode is probably your best option. I gave up completely on my Fallout because of massive graphical glitches that I didn't have the patience to deal with.  :-\

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 10:34:29 pm »

You could try VirtualBox-ing an older Windows.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 11:09:39 pm »

And that's why i buy the boxed copies of my games.

Does it only do it on Fallout? If it does it on other stuff, you may have a virus of some kind (i've had the same one twice). Try running a thorough full-system virus scan.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 02:05:06 am »

Actually, Fallout 2 and the rest of my games function just about as perfectly as they could, except for a bit of lag and glitches every now and then. I get bad graphical glitches during cutscenes, but it's fine.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 02:54:37 am »

That doesn't make any sense then - Fallout 1 and 2 use the same engine. If one works, the other should. Might be a bug specific to the steam version?

Don't know if they come fully patched, but I do know they have a lot of bugs often enough, and there are fan patches that fix some of them. Maybe see if there's something relevant to your issue? Might not work with a steam copy though...

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 04:36:13 am »

Find the executable file in your steamapps folder, right click and go to properties. There you'll have the compatibility tab where you can make it run semi-compatibly with the chosen Windows version.

I'd also have a look at the fan patches. Hopefully Steam won't protest, but I dunno.