Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Strange Embarks...  (Read 3894 times)

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Embarks...
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 12:58:41 pm »

I tried a terrifying desert with a river nearby on Genesis mod.
Gargoyles tore my dwarves a new one.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2011, 01:55:46 am »

HOLY CRAP

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I EMBARKED ON TOP OF AN ABANDONED CASTLE MADE COMPLETELY OUT OF GOLD ORE.
where is up?

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2011, 07:00:42 pm »

HOLY SHIT!!!!!
World gen info please!
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2011, 12:15:05 am »

Glad I came back to check this thread... that is truly epic!!! dwarf fortress never ceases to amaze.... I wonder if there is "emergent behavior" in its system its so damn complex lol
I voted for BANANA!

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2011, 04:10:26 am »

There's only ONE embark that I still pine for and have tried to find in new worlds that I've generated, to no avail.

The spot was 3x3 probably, descending towards a major river that ran from one end of the right side of the map to the other along a smaller river. However, what made this spot so memorable was that the major river had a waterfall which froze during the winter, but the lower part of the major river did not freeze. This resulted in a huge block of ice forming every winter and when Spring came, the whole thing melted and flashflooded the bottom of the map.

Most of the first year went as I had to build a big dam to contain all the water that flushed down and make it go out of the map. In the end that spot became an overground city with little houses of obsidian for everyone and the yearly flood was always exciting to watch. What with there being a bridge over the dam without rails, so it was always fun to see whether or not someone would be washed off and into the water. No one ever had that fate though.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2011, 10:07:49 am »

Back in the days of 40d, I once embarked on a 3x3 site that had a chasm zig-zagging through the site.  5 of the 9 embark tiles were 'chasm' tiles, and all of them seemed to be infested with cave spiders.  A few years in, nearly the entire surface of the map was carpeted with cave spider webs.  I built a massive cave spider silk clothing export business.  Immigrants with pet cats were killed on sight.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2011, 11:50:09 am »

I embarked on a frozen site with a block of ice floating above most ground but it was connected to a little hill... What made it better was there was a little "green spot" under it where there was no snow and trees and shrubs grew.

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2011, 10:47:32 pm »

I embarked on a frozen site with a block of ice floating above most ground but it was connected to a little hill... What made it better was there was a little "green spot" under it where there was no snow and trees and shrubs grew.

Sounds a little like a greenhouse of ice lol
I voted for BANANA!
Pages: 1 [2]