Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The World of Griffins - A Story  (Read 630 times)

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
The World of Griffins - A Story
« on: July 04, 2011, 11:41:28 pm »

Hey there folks.
Something I've always wanted to do is tell a series of long-running stories all set in the same world, following one adventurer or fort as a time as they perform heroic, or villainous, deeds. This is what I'm doing now.
I won't always tell you the story of each adventurer and fort, some things will happen without their tale making it to these pages. Similarly, if it doesn't make sense from a narrative perspective you may not even find out how an adventurer or fort comes to an end. A final journal entry or letter may never get written.

I'll be using the following mods:
Legends of the Forlorn Realms by narhiril
Tanmod and Wanderer's Friend by Lofn, and the add-on for that: Blacksmith's Friend by Iituem
Kobold Camp
And v0.2a of my own mod Legacy of the Lost (I doubt you'll see much of this)

I will also occasionally be making use of DFusion, DFHack, and Runesmith though this will only be for narrative purposes. IE. Retiring a fort when its story has been told, equipping adventurer's companions, etc.
I need to go to another computer to make use of DFusion and Runesmith, so even when I want to use those (such as to equip a companion) I may not be able to do so right away. Either the event will be held off for an in-story reason, or I'll just wait to update.

You the reader can get involved in the following ways:
In adventure mode, you can claim a companion.
In Fort Mode, you can claim a dwarf.
In both modes, more-so adventure mode, from time to time questions will be posed. If you have claimed a character you may chime in on their behalf. Keep in mind that a popular vote will NOT always effect the story: A band of brave companions urging their cowardly leader to raid a village may not result in that leader raiding the village (though he may be pressured into it...Who knows!) I will keep a running tally of who has claimed a character in this post.

When applying for a character, please provide the following information:
Code: [Select]
Nickname:
Preferred Gender:
Personality:
Preferred Skills:
I make no promises that I will keep to these, though I will do my best. Especially in Fort Mode though, I can't always control the gender of incoming migrants and the like.
When starting a new fort or camp, six of the starting seven will always be available.

In any case, the story will begin with the next post.

Claimed Companions/Migrants: (Black = Not yet in story)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Act 1 Table of Contents:
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 08:17:35 pm by thatkid »
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The World of Griffins - A Story
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 12:08:45 am »

ACT 1
Prologue: Seeteechlin the Kobold in the Lair of the Ettin

Seeteechlin had never seen more glitter in his entire short life. The caverns, dim as they were even with his inborn ability to see in the dark, shined like a thousand suns. And it was all because of the gems, the glorious multitude of gems that lay before him. With a squeal, the fat amber-furred kobold tore his pack from his back and dumped out the dozens of eggs that lay inside, waiting to be eaten or thrown as necessary, and set to gathering whatever he could fit in his bag.

All sense of stealth was lost as he tore through the winding halls, ducking beneath low-hanging arches and scrambling over sharp stalagmites wrought of quartzite. By the time the creature spotted him, Seeteechlin wore an amulet of tin, a crown of purple wood, and a bracelet of raw silver. In one hand he bore a figurine depicting a dwarf, carved from some bright red ore he had never seen before. As Seeteechlin quaked, gazing up at the two-headed beast before him, the amulet clanked against the bracelet on his thick wrist and the gems which had been stuffed into his backpack rattled noisily.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Seeteechlin's yellow eyes gazed into the deep fern-green eyes of one of the Ettin's head for all of a moment, and then Seeteechlin turned tail and ran...directly into a dead-end. With a short shout, the kobold spun and flung himself around a corner just as the Ettin swung one massive hand down where he had been standing a moment before. And then Seeteechlin was off again, down another corridor. He only back-tracked a moment, to stuff a bone figure depicting kobolds into his bag.

It was not until he was tired, panting and out-of-breath that Seeteechlin realized he had been running away from the surface. Before him was a great lake, and behind him the thunderous pounding of an Ettin on his heels. Swallowing, the Kobold dropped to a crouch, gripped his copper razor tightly, and prepared for the worst.
Maitu tore around the corner, lashing out with a powerful punch that knocked Seeteechlin to his knees and tore the breath from his lungs. Gasping for air, the novice thief scurried between his aggressor's legs and down the passage from which he came, blindly turning corners as the scratchy voices of the Ettin's two heads bellowed behind him.

When Seeteechlin reached the surface once more, he was met by the stars and a yawn. While he had originally come to that place in search of a place to sleep, even he, with his decided lack of intelligence, knew that he could not stay any longer and so, with a fearful glance to the darkness behind him, set off into the night.

"Halt in the name of the Honesty of Beer!" a squeaky voice rang out in the still dawn air. Bleary-eyed, Seeteechlin turned north to see, not a dwarf, but a lone kobold armed with a rusty copper chopper. His eyes grew wide and then, shaking himself awake as best he could, he raised his copper razor, snarled, and charged.
Seeteechlin never made it to the other kobold, an unarmed female dashed out from behind a glumprong, tackling him to the ground. Whining in pain, Seeteechlin stabbed out, driving his razor into her abdomen. Blood spilled down to stain his vulture feather tunic, and the koboldess released her hold on his leg to add vomit to the mixture. Squeezing his eyes shut, Seeteechlin lashed out again and again until he was able to shove her off of him, scrambling away from a flash of copper just in the nick of time.

The wrestler staggered to her feet, retching and clutching at her bleeding stomach. Growling, the axebold raised his chopper and charged, tackling Seeteechlin to the ground once more. The thief's leg roared with pain at the knee, and then went numb. A moment later, darkness overtook him.

Feel free to suggest the race and preferred fighting style of the first adventurer that this story will actually follow. It's going to be a peasant either way.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 12:23:02 am by thatkid »

oidip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 02:07:08 am »

Human Lasher.

If not then I would like to be a companion.
Name: Oidip
Preferred Gender: Meh
Personality: Like the smell of blood. To weedy for heavy weapons like hammers and axes
Weapon of Choice: Whip/ Dagger
Join the new Hermit Succession

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 08:14:30 pm »

Done and done.
I'll start up the next adventurer in about an hour. Playing LCS at the moment :P