Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Baby-splosion  (Read 1421 times)

Rayc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Baby-splosion
« on: July 04, 2011, 01:45:34 pm »

How many babies can a dwarf mom have?  And what should I do with all these kids?  Right now I'm going by their names and assigning them jobs related to them.   I'm wondering how many babies I can get from this one mother.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 01:52:07 pm by Rayc »

kellen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Baby-splosion
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 02:28:45 pm »

Set up the Parental Counseling and Family Planning industries.

But, it looks like the default is [BABY_CHILD_CAP:100:1000] unless you change it.  This is neither here nor there, but I'd imagine that a mother with so many babies on her back would be a fearsome warrior. For every swing of the mother's hammer/axe/whathaveyou, a dozen babies punch the target.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 02:34:57 pm »

Set up the Parental Counseling and Family Planning industries.

But, it looks like the default is [BABY_CHILD_CAP:100:1000] unless you change it.  This is neither here nor there, but I'd imagine that a mother with so many babies on her back would be a fearsome warrior. For every swing of the mother's hammer/axe/whathaveyou, a dozen babies punch the target.

I never thought about it that way! And she even has ablative armor!
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 02:39:53 pm »

Odd, but true, my current fort had three or four "clans" like that, each with 19-20 children before accidents. They all started to come of age.  In the end I formed a new squad of miners, a craftsguild and a criminal gang from the working class dwarf clan. The gang was always headed by a matriarch, who brought her dozens of children into live goblin training, so they'd get dabbling combat skills at age 3. It was pretty sweet, 15 years down the line three of her children became named killing machines (the rest weren't as lucky)
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 02:44:44 pm »

Remove "MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE" tag and you'll get even more dwarf, per dwarf!

I've never let forts live long enough to have more than 2 or 3 babies. Are high numbers common?

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 04:47:17 pm »

You know... there are some tricks that could help you... 'lower' the child population.

If you like.
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 04:59:08 pm »

now, time for a thermo nuclear babysplosion instead of a cat one...
Hey, you get 7 dwarves on embark...

ExdeathV

• Bay Watcher
  • God damn boogeymen. Can't you just let me sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 06:38:14 pm »

The answer is simple.

!!MAGMA!!

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 12:01:57 am »

almost over a quarter of my fortress is made up of children now, by attrition.

once the king gets here, i'm closing off from the outside world for a good decade for some of these useless mouths to grow up.

still gotta worry about cavern stuff though.  might wall that off finally, too.  just had my first experience with a "noxious secretions" FB, and i cannot say i like the results (or that the goblins decided in honer of them actually making the scheduled late-winter siege, they should commemorate the occasion with a late spring siege)

it's gotten to where migrant waves are showing up "despite the danger", even when there is nothing hostile on the map.... and hadn't been in over two months.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time