Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What would be the ideal weapon trap payload?  (Read 927 times)

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
What would be the ideal weapon trap payload?
« on: July 04, 2011, 09:29:04 pm »

I decided to set up my traps a bit differently than normal in the hopes of increasing trap efficiency. I plan to use a series of weapon traps with the intention of knocking invaders down a very steep pit. What kind of trap component would you recommend for this purpose?
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
Re: What would be the ideal weapon trap payload?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 09:40:46 pm »

Glass corkscrews or wooden spiked balls. If you completely load them with 10, they should ether get tired out or dodge off the bridge.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 09:41:41 pm »

Yeah, wooden stuff is probably best.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 09:43:32 pm »

Spiked balls and serrated discs attack 3 times for every weapon; that's 30 chances enemies have to dodge. Ideally, they should be made out of a weak material, with wood being the ideal. If you're using a mod that has TRAPAVOID siegers, you may want to use upright spike traps with training spears instead as they can't be avoided.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 10:20:34 pm »

What are the odds that Billy-Joe goblin is going to *dodge* the trap rather than just get smacked in the face by it? I've also toyed with the idea of a dodge-trap, but I guess I'm a bit unsure of how effective it would be.
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 10:25:13 pm »

Of course he's gonna be smacked in the face some of the times, the reason you use Spiked Balls or Serrated Discs is they each attack 3 times at once, so that's more chances to dodge, and if you make them out of something weak like wood then they won't do a whole lotta damage, meaning there's less chance Billy-Joe Goblin's gonna be killed directly by the trap.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 10:27:04 pm »

You *want* them dodging--thats what makes dodge traps cheaper than cage trap despite the initial set-up difficulty--the more skilled an opponent enters, the quicker they go -splat- at the bottom, better dodge=swifter death.

Three-five masterful mechanism and cheap/crap everything else, but fully packed weapon traps over a 15z level pit will literally process sieges with no input on your end except body part cleaning.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 10:28:57 pm by thegoatgod_pan »
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?