Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Nerf Knife?  (Read 5323 times)

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nerf Knife?
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 04:24:10 pm »

knives and daggers are brutally effective in an unmodded game, I know that from playing a dagger ninja adventurer myself.

Did you actually call your dude a Ninja on the status screen??? And how exactly DO you play like a ninja? Spend points in knife user and ambusher, or what???

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 11:39:38 pm »

knives and daggers are brutally effective in an unmodded game, I know that from playing a dagger ninja adventurer myself.

Did you actually call your dude a Ninja on the status screen??? And how exactly DO you play like a ninja? Spend points in knife user and ambusher, or what???

Knife user/ambusher/wrestler with high agility. Lead some peasants into battle so you can collect a few knives to throw (don't throw rocks). Let your soldier goons go first into battle, then flank the enemy (you do get a bonus for the "from behind" or "from the side" attacks). Daggers have a smaller contact area than a spear. You can get an Iron Slicing Knife from a human that is better than your copper dagger. Carving forks have the smallest contact area in the game, and the smallest possible. I've seen a night creature stab someone through their helmet with a fork, you can do the same. Using a shield is ok, especially against a dragon. Against people, try grabbing them, choke unconscious, stab in head/throat, drop and move on. If you stay farther than 3 tiles away from everyone, you can stealth around with no chance of detection.

Warning: it is very hard to fight night creatures as a ninja build. Most of your tricks won't work.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2011, 12:16:57 pm »

Why not rocks? They can be sharpened. I usually put a point or two into Knapping to make pointy rocks to fling at people. And, besides, throwing knives is probably NOT a good idea if you want to have all sorts of cool (and maybe useful) assassination stuff.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2011, 07:17:26 pm »

Knife user/ambusher/wrestler with high agility. Lead some peasants into battle so you can collect a few knives to throw (don't throw rocks). Let your soldier goons go first into battle, then flank the enemy (you do get a bonus for the "from behind" or "from the side" attacks). Daggers have a smaller contact area than a spear. You can get an Iron Slicing Knife from a human that is better than your copper dagger. Carving forks have the smallest contact area in the game, and the smallest possible. I've seen a night creature stab someone through their helmet with a fork, you can do the same. Using a shield is ok, especially against a dragon. Against people, try grabbing them, choke unconscious, stab in head/throat, drop and move on. If you stay farther than 3 tiles away from everyone, you can stealth around with no chance of detection.

Warning: it is very hard to fight night creatures as a ninja build. Most of your tricks won't work.

How do your tricks not work with knight creatures?

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2011, 07:47:16 pm »

Most night creatures are found in lairs.
Tight corridors make sneaking difficult, and also make it harder to allow your fodder to go in first. I've also found that I have difficulty wrestling night creatures, so that might also be an issue.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2011, 02:03:26 am »

Most night creatures are found in lairs.
Tight corridors make sneaking difficult, and also make it harder to allow your fodder to go in first. I've also found that I have difficulty wrestling night creatures, so that might also be an issue.
Also: they are immune to pain, stunning, fear, nausea. They don't actually breathe, despite having lungs. They have natural combat skills, including a decent ability to spot sneaking people. In terms of body size, they range from human size to double human size (by weight).

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2011, 09:13:19 am »

Huh. Well, that's annoying. So could I lure one out of its lair as a bowman and shoot it until it dies, or do I have to get up close and personal and hack its limbs off with a scimitar or axe?

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2011, 12:58:20 pm »

Huh. Well, that's annoying. So could I lure one out of its lair as a bowman and shoot it until it dies, or do I have to get up close and personal and hack its limbs off with a scimitar or axe?
i personally hack.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2011, 09:59:26 pm »

You mean, shoot it once with your bow and then die horribly during your bow's reloading time?

What you do if you have to solo a night creature is to lure it outside of its lair, and then use your agility (which should be higher than its agility) to strike and back up before it has a chance to attack, over and over again. It will waste its combat turn moving to within melee range of you.
Pages: 1 [2]