Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Massive Cave-Ins  (Read 1218 times)

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Massive Cave-Ins
« on: July 03, 2011, 04:23:41 pm »

I plan to cave-in an entire level: the surface. Several others will follow later. I'm sure someone has done this - or similar - before, and I was wondering:

1) What happens to objects on top of collapsed surfaces? Do they simply fall to the bottom of the cave-in? Or are they destroyed? Specifically, I was wondering about logs and refuse.

2) Trees and other plants. Completely obliterated, correct?

3) What tiles on the target level will be broken through? None,  unsupported floors, or floors and the walls beneath them?

4) If the entire surface is gone (barring, of course, the one tile on each edge) where/how will traders, migrants, and animals arrive? I'm leaving ramps going down along the entire east and south.

5) I'm trying to leave 2 murky pools standing. Will caving in around those cause any problems?

Any answers, tips, or other helpful knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Massive Cave-Ins
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 04:29:33 pm »

1) They drop.  Logs and refuse will go along for the ride, but may be moved from their original location.

2) Unknown.

3) It cuts through floors only.  Have a layer of solid wall above what you want to save, and that wall halts the progress.  Many super-dense fallout shelters are made with a solid wall roof to prevent accidental cave-in death.

4) At the edge.  Traders will only appear on a route that lets them reach the depot, allowing you to rather easily guide them down a specific route.  Migrants appear anywhere on the edge, they don't care about anything beyond reaching the map's edge.

5) Unknown, I assume they remain safe, as they're a floor type and those are preserved.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 04:46:50 pm »

3) It cuts through floors only.  Have a layer of solid wall above what you want to save, and that wall halts the progress.  Many super-dense fallout shelters are made with a solid wall roof to prevent accidental cave-in death.
Thanks. This one is especially helpful. Would channeling out the ground above at-risk floor tiles work, before caving the rest in, or would it be safer to build walls?

And,
also, don't forget about your FPS!
Screw the FPS! (Actually, I think I'll back up the save, just in case)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 04:51:41 pm »

2.) Yes, they are just gone.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 04:59:39 pm »

Okay, I'm going to back up the save and do a quick test of it. No safety or anything, just to see how it works. Definitely will not save after that.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 05:03:40 pm »

Any cave-in that hits a solid wall will stop there.  Build a wall over what you want to save, or leave natural stone in place, and then drop it.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 05:16:01 pm »

Testing finished. Fortress (expectedly) decimated.

Trees disappeared, logs were dropped. Unprotected/non-reinforced floor tiles destroyed. Plenty of deadly dust. Nothing really out of the ordinary.

A little more preparation and I'll be ready to actually drop it.

EDIT: Interestingly enough, most of the grass was transferred down to the target levels. That's one less thing I have to worry about. Kind of annoying when your smoothable stone floor turns into grass, though.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 05:18:36 pm by Lectorog »

uncool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 06:04:57 pm »

4) At the edge.  Traders will only appear on a route that lets them reach the depot, allowing you to rather easily guide them down a specific route.
I've found that that's false; I've had both traders and diplomats appear at a spot where, even were all bridges down, they would not be able to reach the depot. Admittedly, I did some major landscape renovations, but as it was, there was no way to reach the depot at all.
=Uncool-

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 10:09:12 pm »

4) At the edge.  Traders will only appear on a route that lets them reach the depot, allowing you to rather easily guide them down a specific route.
I've found that that's false; I've had both traders and diplomats appear at a spot where, even were all bridges down, they would not be able to reach the depot. Admittedly, I did some major landscape renovations, but as it was, there was no way to reach the depot at all.
=Uncool-
It's half-true.  When a caravan shows up the game checks for wagon access to the depot.  If a wagon-passable three tile wide path exists from your trade depot to the map edge, the caravan will appear on that path.  This applies even though wagons don't exist at the moment.  If there is no wagon-passable pah, the caravan will appear on a random spot.  Diplomats, liaisons, and immigrants appear on a random map edge, there's no check for access to your fortress.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.