Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thrust question  (Read 1297 times)

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Thrust question
« on: July 03, 2011, 06:58:20 pm »

Does anyone know a way to extremely simplify the acceleration/speed calculation for physics?

Example, i'm thinking of rockets:

A Saturn-V rocket has approx 7.6 million lb's thrust for its first SIB stage.
Its weight is approximately 6.6 million lbs including payload.

This leaves approximately 1 million lb's of upward thrust?(for approximately 400 seconds)   How can i translate this into a ballpark figure for speed. I'm thinking of games here, I dont need to calculate every second of drag and air density, I just need a ballpark figure to mark against several rockets and designs and use for a game.
All I need to use are the average speed for a rocket of this amount of thrust, and approximately what % of that is lost to drag/air resistance.
I know there are complex mathmatical formulas for calculating this, I simply don't understand them, I am not a physicist. They are no use to me and I don't feel confident I couldnt learn to understand the equation in a short time.

I would have used figures from an actual Saturn-V launch for the speed, but I couldn't find any.

I'm thinking of about 5 calculations for launch, one lift off and then every 20km or so.(or less)

Lift off/Ground
Troposphere
Stratosphere
Mesosphere
Thermosphere

Example, thrust would result in 500f/s base speed average up to the troposphere, 50% of that being lost to dragso 250f/s actual speed.
from trop to strat, 40% lost, mes to therm, 30% and so on. (these are explanatory figures, not the ones I plan to use.)
At 100km this drops to 0(basicly.)

Any help would be appreciated!

Notes for me about atmospheric pressure
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

To be honest...

Does anyone forsee a problem with having the average speed for the game be:

1,000,000 pounds net thrust =
5km/s speed(0.5% of the thrust lb's)
minus - air pressure/gravity at lower levels so say 30% of this until 80km approx
minut - 20% aerodynamics modifier(based on the size/quality of rocket aerodynamics)
*2km/s is the required speed for a rocket to reach LEO, apparently. So this would not be entirely unrealistic.

*sums no longer relevant, have tweaked.

I know this isn't realistic, I'm talking about a functional model. I'll do a few test runs to see how this works.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 08:59:20 pm by Deadmeat1471 »

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: Thrust question
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 09:07:42 pm »

This isn't rocket science... oh wait.

Okay, let me try to explain it using an easy example from wiki -

T = (dm/dt)v

where:
T is the thrust generated (force)
(dm/dt) is the rate of change of mass with respect to time (mass flow rate of exhaust); - because as fuel leaves the rocket as it converts fuel mass to propulsive energy. This can be at various rates. Assume a constant rate following launch unless you want to start using basic calculus.
v is the speed of the exhaust gases measured relative to the rocket.

For vertical launch of a rocket the initial thrust force must be more than the force of weight due to gravity.

The real life example given is: Each of the three Space Shuttle Main Engines can produce a thrust of 1.8 MN (Meganewtons), and each of the Space Shuttle's two Solid Rocket Boosters 14.7 MN, together 29.4 MN. Compare with the mass at lift-off of 2,040,000 kg, hence a weight of 20 MN.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 09:38:34 pm »

This isn't rocket science... oh wait.

Okay, let me try to explain it using an easy example from wiki -

T = (dm/dt)v

where:
T is the thrust generated (force)
(dm/dt) is the rate of change of mass with respect to time (mass flow rate of exhaust); - because as fuel leaves the rocket as it converts fuel mass to propulsive energy. This can be at various rates. Assume a constant rate following launch unless you want to start using basic calculus.
v is the speed of the exhaust gases measured relative to the rocket.

For vertical launch of a rocket the initial thrust force must be more than the force of weight due to gravity.

The real life example given is: Each of the three Space Shuttle Main Engines can produce a thrust of 1.8 MN (Meganewtons), and each of the Space Shuttle's two Solid Rocket Boosters 14.7 MN, together 29.4 MN. Compare with the mass at lift-off of 2,040,000 kg, hence a weight of 20 MN.

I know this, but to translate this into a speed I need to add factors such as the exaust gas speed and mass flow rate of exaust as you said - I do not know how to do this. *perhaps you could give me a constant flow?  :P
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 10:02:59 pm by Deadmeat1471 »

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 10:00:25 pm »

You need to decide on what fuel you're using, how powerful it is, and how much of it you're burning per second.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 10:10:37 pm »

You need to decide on what fuel you're using, how powerful it is, and how much of it you're burning per second.

Lets say I use LH2/LOX as in Saturn-V first stage F-1 rockets....

Specific impulse is 263 s (2.58 kN·s/kg)

however this needs 'real worlding'.

'The F-1 burned 3,945 pounds (1,789 kg) of liquid oxygen and 1,738 pounds (788 kg) of RP-1 each second, generating 1,500,000 pounds-force (6.7 MN) of thrust'
This equated to a flow rate of 413.5 US gallons (1,565 l) of LOX and 257.9 US gallons (976 l) RP-1 per second. During their two and a half minutes of operation, the five F-1s propelled the Saturn V vehicle to a height of 42 miles (68 km) and a speed of 6,164 miles per hour (9,920 km/h).

AHHAH! I found what I needed, thanks for the input kael, I'll fiddle with tis for a bit.

One thing I could do with is knowing exactly  what 'dm/dt' is refering to. Also what measurement that is in, as the flow rate is about 700 gallons total..... ?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 10:15:52 pm by Deadmeat1471 »

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 11:26:20 am »

removed.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 02:53:00 pm »

dm/dt is the derivative of the mass to the time, so in essence it's how much the mass changes per second. If that value can be assumed a constant for your engine (it burns x gallons per second at all times) you've got a constant thrust. Else, T=v*dm/dt gives you a relation between the time and the thrust.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 03:25:56 pm »

dm/dt is the derivative of the mass to the time, so in essence it's how much the mass changes per second. If that value can be assumed a constant for your engine (it burns x gallons per second at all times) you've got a constant thrust. Else, T=v*dm/dt gives you a relation between the time and the thrust.

Ok so lets say the flow rate is a fixed 700 gallons a second. The Exaust gas speed is a fixed 3,560 m/s taken from the SSME.

T = 3,560 m/s(taken from SSME)*700? = whatever?

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 04:12:51 pm »

Gallons is a unit of volume, so you'd need to multiply the result by the density of your fuel. If you don't know the density, 0.8 kg/m3 (needs to be converted to kg/gallon if you want thrust in newtons) is a decent guess for most fuels (though it may be different for LOX/LH, as liquid hydrogen has a very, very low density)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 04:15:18 pm by Virex »

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 05:24:55 pm »

Gallons is a unit of volume, so you'd need to multiply the result by the density of your fuel. If you don't know the density, 0.8 kg/m3 (needs to be converted to kg/gallon if you want thrust in newtons) is a decent guess for most fuels (though it may be different for LOX/LH, as liquid hydrogen has a very, very low density)

I'll check this out and get back.