Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Imprisoning, Ammunition  (Read 606 times)

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
Imprisoning, Ammunition
« on: July 04, 2011, 03:49:10 am »

My stores say I have 1000 ammunition. But where is it? I can't find it anywhere, and neither can my marksdwarfes it seems.

I got a surgeon which is about to lose it from unhappiness, I want to imprison  the person because she's also been part of my army. I have a prison with chains and beds but I dont find any command to imprison her. Do I have to wait for her to tantrum? I dont have the "Sheriff" noble position yet, even though I have 107 dwarfs.

Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Carpman

• Bay Watcher
  • need not work.
    • View Profile
Re: Imprisoning, Ammunition
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 04:06:44 am »

Imprisonment isn't something you can command. First you need to assign a justice dwarf, who would now be considered a captain of the guard at 107 dwarves (which is a level higher than sheriff). Then you need to actually wait until the tantrumer does something illegal, such as break a bed or throw a cat into a wall. Then their name will appear in the justice section of the [z] menu, showing what their punishment is and for what (such as lewd treatment of a cat). If the punishment is imprisonment, the CotG will move the criminal to a chain assigned as a jail. If you want to keep the surgeon from causing mischief, you could always wall her in her room.

As for the bolts, I have no idea.

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 04:08:35 am »

Thanks for your post. I solved it by building her a Grand Bedroom.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 05:10:51 am »

They're probably forbidden, got to the stocks many of them should have a yellow F or a brown F by them, just hit 'f' again and it should go away. Your dwarves should then retrieve those bolts.

Or you have one heck of a goblin ambush coming your way.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 06:18:03 am »

How can stuff become forbidden without me doing it?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 07:14:18 am »

By default, ammo that is used in combat are forbidden, I'm all-but-certain.  (Shouldn't apply to training-used ammo.)

Don't have DF on this computer, but check "O"rders, "F"orbidden, IIRC...  "Claim/Forbid used ammo" and death items (this latter would include unexpended enemy ammo in enemy quivers) and the like.  That might be the issue, but probably needs cross-referencing with the Wiki or someone with the game open in front of them.

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 07:30:20 am »

Every fired arrow/bolt becomes forbidden once it hits the ground. This counts also for bolts shot during training.
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 07:36:49 am »

to find your ammos, go to the z stock screen, select ammunitions, then press 'tab' to see the detailed listing. You can then zoom on each individual stack of bolts.

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 07:37:09 am »

If all 1000 of those bolts are "previously fired," they'll be in stacks of one, which is gonna create a really obnoxious hauling scenario for both your haulers as well as any dwarf that wants to use them for training.

My advice is:
  • create a one-square dump zone next to where the marksdwarves stand to practice, and re-dump all the one-bolt-stacks into one big pile. If you delete your ammo stockpiles and have all your marksdwarves grabbing their ammo from that one quantum stockpile, it'll save you both space and the annoying experience of having to watch your entire fort carry the bolts to and from stockpiles, one at a time. If you don't like using quantum piles, then a regular ammo stockpile with lots of bins will probably also work. Personally, I prefer a combination of the two - a quantum pile near the archery range, and a long stockpile near the archers - haulers will automatically fill the stockpile from the quantum pile so that it's well-distributed to the archers.
  • One thing I do to prevent any un-used bolts is to have my archers stand REALLY close - the target, one free space, and then the dwarf standing there. This means that pretty much every single bolt will hit the target and break. It saves you a lot of one-by-one hauling later, and IMO, is worth the cost in potentially salvaged ammo.
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.