Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: No dwarves vanilla .25 high volcanism and max minerals  (Read 4024 times)

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Re: No dwarves vanilla .25 high volcanism and max minerals
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2011, 09:42:36 am »

Whenever I gen a world with no dwarves I always still get liasons and traders and migrants, it seems the civ has one very small city left...
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2011, 10:00:32 am »

Whenever I gen a world with no dwarves I always still get liasons and traders and migrants, it seems the civ has one very small city left...

After the first two migrant waves, bringing me to 18 dwarves, I have seen absolutely nobody - except a couple goblin snatchers that the war dogs chased off before I sealed the fort shut.

Had my first marriage, really need to give the dwarves more downtime to socialize.

How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2011, 11:10:43 am »

Are you going to let it run on autopilot most of the time while the decades roll by, or mod dwarves to reach maturity faster?
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2011, 12:06:41 pm »

I will download this world tomorrow...
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2011, 08:25:14 pm »

After the first two migrant waves, bringing me to 18 dwarves, I have seen absolutely nobody - except a couple goblin snatchers that the war dogs chased off before I sealed the fort shut.

Had my first marriage, really need to give the dwarves more downtime to socialize.

In another thread, it was proven (via a fort that lasted over 200 years) that dwarves will marry cousins, but not siblings. How old are your 18 dwarves? Since dwarves live 150-170 years barring injury/illness, you need to have 2 new generations of dwarves by the time 50-70 years have passed. It takes 12 years for a dwarf to reach maturity, so this is feasible.

Another funny note: Not all of your first 18 dwarves will be able to marry. You may find that a dwarf from the first 18 will marry one of the next generation once they turn into adults. The population of your fort won't really be able to explode until about 30 years in.

I ought to try one of these forts, it could be interesting. Especially if I occasionally open up for trade.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2011, 09:20:25 pm »

Are you going to let it run on autopilot most of the time while the decades roll by, or mod dwarves to reach maturity faster?

It will take a while to get a legendary weapon and armorsmith.  And I have other plans as well.  The fort will not be idle, or at least it won't be idle more than a couple years as I try to get my dwarves to start having kids.
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2011, 09:24:22 pm »

Amazingly enough, there are 9 males and 9 females.  Only one child arrived, which has matured.

I've had 1 marriage so far hopefully more soon.

Not sure on the ages, there might be a couple over 100 by now.

revara

• Bay Watcher
  • The entropic pluck of strings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2011, 05:14:47 am »

How many years have passed by now?

You seem to have -alot- of metal, perhaps building furniture for your dwarves houses out of their favourite metal (Or most valuable, if their favourite is unavailable) could be a nice time-sink, giving your married dwarves something to work with.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2011, 06:06:09 am »

13 years now.  Dwarves are still busy.  Two marriages and three children born in the fort now.

Most dwarves now indicate they have "what was once a thin frame now bearing enormous, thick layers of fat"

There's a deadly dust FB in the cavern below but that's OK, there is a 30x30 obsidian mixer that's nearly ready now.

I figure another 10 years or so and I'll be done with the defenses and have masterwork arms and armor and masterwork weapontraps.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2011, 06:40:55 am »

That is a nice fort. Keep us informed about it!

*shameless posting to watch fake disguise post*
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2011, 11:38:04 am »

Weaponsmith is legendary making silver maces and silver spiked balls.  Now making steel battle axes and steel menacing spikes.

Another marriage and a bunch more kids.  only one more premade bedroom left, and at the rate the fort is popping out kids now, I'll need it and a bunch more soon.

I started getting moods when my population hit 21.  Three so far, one table, one chair, and a scepter.  The table and chair I put in the lever suite, to help keep whoever stays in there when bad things are happening happy.

Roasted a FB a few minutes ago, but the obsidian mixer is not nearly as effective as I'd like.  I now have a maze of water, obsidian, and magma that I'm going to have to very carefully clean out.

Oh, and just a bit of weirdness - kittens can't drown.  One of my baitkittens is completely submerged in 7 deep water, and not drowning.

I'll check Mantis and if aquatic kittens is not a known bug I'll put a bug there.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2011, 12:16:11 pm »

In case anyone wants to see a very large, very botched obsidian mixer which managed to get lucky and kill a FB, but left an ugly mess - (and revealed an aquatic kitten to me) here's the save.  I'm sending it to Mantis for a bug report on the kitten.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4596

This is year 15, of a no-dwarves world.  18 adult dwarves and 7 little ones currently.

Feel free to fiddle around with it, but I can tell you now that the obsidian mixer is getting a complete redesign, lol.

The lever room has all the levers noted with reasonably descriptive names (use N from main menu)
Pages: 1 [2]