Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Candy  (Read 669 times)

tomblifter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Candy
« on: June 30, 2011, 08:06:28 am »

I just saw candy for the first time today, submerged in a magma sea. What's the best way to get to it? I was thinking about flooding it, since I have a flooded cavern some Z levels up.

tl;dr; What's the best way to retrieve candy without waking up the circus?

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Candy
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 08:27:39 am »

is the whole pillar submerged or does it hit the roof of the magma sea?

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 08:37:00 am »

• Wall the miner in.
  • Have them excavate a layer.
  • Remove the wall.
  • Retrieve candy.
  • Wall in miner.
Only way to be sure. Another option is building a cave-in trap for them, or an upright spear corridor.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

tomblifter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 08:38:23 am »

is the whole pillar submerged or does it hit the roof of the magma sea?
I'm not sure yet, there's damp stone everywhere.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 08:53:08 am »

Make a well somewhere, fed by the cavern lake, and manually obsidianize magma surrounding the pillar bu designating ponds. To work the water must be dropped from two levels above or more. Or fill the floor above magma with 1/7 water and order them to dig channel, it will immediately create a magma wall below and recreate the floor. Only exception is when there is semi-molten rock below the magma tile, then magma cannot be obsidianized. But it can be spread and then evaporate.

Also note, that it is possible that candy pillar has many levels safe (my first and biggest had 33 solid levels before becoming hollow) so it can be quite tedious to close a dwarf every time you channel down. You may build a bridge in (a narrow and long) corridor leading to the pillar and close it when there are problems, and build hatches on some levels in the pillar, and lock them possibly allowing dwarf to escape. Additionally, if you have standard embark size (4x4) then you'll probably have four pillars, and only one is really dangerous. In my first fortress it was the last one to be found.