Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Battle formations  (Read 1167 times)

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
Battle formations
« on: June 26, 2011, 02:47:47 pm »

I always wanted my troops to march in a clean, rectangular formation, but i never could get them to! Adding formations would allow for complex strategies and maybe a timing function would be nice, as in, you want 1 group to attack first, then another, but oh no! you are distracted and cannot pause in time.  So you can delay orders automatically.  I want this in the game, it would be very fun.

cameron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Battle formations
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 03:43:04 pm »

Formations were originally supposed to be in the big .31 release I think they are currently delayed till after the next series of releases when toady goes back into more army arc stuff.

I am not sure what you mean by "you are distracted and cannot pause in time." as you can pause quite easily but I would be for some sort of better command system along with the formations but I would assume they will also not be in until the army arc returns, though it might creep in during release three when he adds "Basic hirelings".

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 06:14:11 pm »

Oh, ok then, and i meant that there is another disaster somewhere else and are panicked

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 01:42:08 pm »

I think battle formations for soldiers would be nifty, especially with marksdwarves, as you could have several squads of them line up in a blockade 30 tiles wide by 5 tile long, AND you could tell them when to fire, in such a way that a goblin siege could be cut down by a massive volley of bolts.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 01:55:49 pm »

yes and i want to see phalanxes

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 12:24:53 pm »

Ah, yes, the classic Greek phalanx. Now THAT would be neat.

Gloster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 05:33:51 pm »

I would definitely support this idea, because one thing I truly hate is a lone legendary "hero" (anhero, actually...) dorf running off all gung-ho from the rest of the squad, getting separated, surrounded and beaten to death by five goblin lashers in his masterwork candy armor. Maintain some battle discipline you dimwits!
What is the point of creating protective corridors shielding squads from archers and softening the incoming hordes with traps if the soldiers refuse to remain in them?

The ability to maintain formation could be skill/leadership dependent, I don't really care, but just make it somehow possible to manage these lemmings...

Plus - the indubitable coolness of spear dwarfs marching in calm determined regular formations to face the screaming prancing gobbos is a factor to be taken into account.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 09:29:43 pm »

Ah, of course. Dwarf spearmen marching in front of dwarf swordsmen marching in front of dwarf crossbowmen... Now THAT would be a terrifying sight, even more so than Terrifying biomes.