Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lets make a Manual...  (Read 1711 times)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lets make a Manual...
« on: June 26, 2011, 07:10:31 am »

How many times have you gotten someone past the ASCII with a Graphic set or at least understanding the ASCII if they know already to just lose them the moment they finish genning their first world. What about when you lose them as soon as they embark. WHAT THE FCK IS THIS!!! They scream. And unless your there to hold their hands for a while chances are they hit the X button (only to be frustrated even more then hit Ctrl+Alt+Del). Perhaps we the people need to do more then create How to Play vids on Youtube, Perhaps we should start creating a FULL and TRUE (to the current) Manual that isn't the Wiki, something that can be downloaded and printed for ease and efficiency...

The main goal is to create a Manual which can be put together to help those new and those dragged into this world by others. Something that will make Heads and Tails out of these Axes and Beards...

What is needed is people to take a part of the game, Embarking, Starting a Fort, Building a Wall, Building a Farm, Feeding your Dwarves, Adventure Mode. And so on and fit it together to make a manual. Use the Wiki, use the wiki and expand or just expand on your current knowledge and write it up. This needs to be done if we ever want to help those poor poor souls....
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Lets make a Manual...
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 08:17:52 am »

But the wiki IS the manual :S

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 08:22:36 am »

I believe that there are walkthrough videos in the gameplay question for both 40d and 2010, both stickified (I didn't looked through them, myself ). Not to mention there are a few guides on wiki itself.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 08:24:16 am »

hmmm i think i can see it.
a pdf file with lots of pics depicting Ascii style art AND a tileset version of it, with explanations of the how to.
darn it i don't have the time though.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 08:29:22 am »

Though i've not watched the walkthrough videos and cannot attest to their quality, that's pretty much the idea sort of manual. Short of that some sort of illustrated guide would be the next best thing, and one of those probably already exists too.
Magma is overrated.

Thatdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 08:55:13 am »

So your saying that we need an up-to-date quick-start guide and maybe even an embark to go with it? Like Captn' duck's youtube tutorial but written instead of filmed.

Yeah. That sounds like a good idea. But to say "a manual" means a bit more than that I guess. The problem is, it's not needed. In my first steps into the game I just had google up and running so I could pause the game and search up anything I didn't know. Usually when you type in "dwarf fortress [insert whatever here] it'll come up with the wiki on top and a few forum threads beneath so as long as there is a quick-start guide, a true manual is never needed.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 12:34:36 pm »

thats only helpful if thw wikis up to date and most of the guides really arent
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 12:44:00 pm »

If the wiki's not up to date then we should probably fix that. A manual is too time consuming to make and plan out while being rendered obsolete after 6 months. A "manual" that showed the reader how to make a  sample fort that used links to the wiki would be easier to create, maintain, and probably be more informative.

Or maybe just update the wiki with the time and effort instead. There's already extensive documentation there that only needs to be maintained to be a definitive guide to the game, and then just link all new players to it. I think a large problem is that most people dismiss the wiki as being inferior to a manual and not a suitable replacement, when it serves the purpose perfectly. Just gotta guide the folks to it.
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 12:53:58 pm »

Yeah, it's going to be hard to keep manual up to date. I'm still playing .18, and all the wiki references are for .25 (Yeah, I know I should get to the new version  :D ). A manual would be pretty much stuck to the version of DF it refers to, such as all the 40d version guides I see online still. And there're http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Quickstart_guide, which seem to be current enough. At least having things that the version I'm on don't have!

I'm not sure why there're a need for dedicated and detailed manuals, unless you're going to stick to one version for extended time and not update. Wiki's much better source of information, as it's kept current (as much as the people part of it can do ). Forum can deal with oddity of older version, or offer work-around. Or just chitchat  ;D

There're printable version, if you click on link that says "Printable version" below the search and in the toolbox space, if you're concerned about people avoiding wiki as 'unreliable'.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 01:33:06 pm »

the wikis great but the manual should have blueprints to build magma cannons and pump stacks for new players that are just learning the wiki doesnt give that clear if derections on that type of stuff im still trying to figure out pumps and i been player for about two years
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 02:20:29 pm »

the wikis great but the manual should have blueprints to build magma cannons and pump stacks for new players that are just learning the wiki doesnt give that clear if derections on that type of stuff im still trying to figure out pumps and i been player for about two years

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Pump_stack#Pump_stack
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Stupid_dwarf_trick#Magma_Cannon

If you don't mind the magma cannon linking to a thread, it works. Magma cannon seems to be more for... Experienced players, as opposed to newcomer. The pump stack one seems to be pretty clear to me, maybe it's been updated since you last looked at it, with the gif showing how to dig and stack it up?

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 02:32:35 pm »

well i been able to repel hell about ten times so far i just cant build a magma cannon yet

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 02:41:34 pm »

Yeah but getting an arc out of magma is like getting dwarves to go without booze...  it's pretty much the grail of DF engineering in my eyes.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2011, 05:47:13 pm »

If they are people who would sit down and read a manual then I doubt they'd have too much trouble picking up the game. A lot of gamers don't have the patience to do their preparatory research (be it wiki, tutorial, forums or manual) and then get frustrated that this game isn't like all the other games where it's obvious what needs doing. Heck, right now the game doesn't even have a goal or a storyline to guide players, never mind thoughtful features for the utter newbie.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.