Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventure Mode - Sleep Until Dusk  (Read 650 times)

SenorPwnage

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Adventure Mode - Sleep Until Dusk
« on: June 24, 2011, 02:48:37 pm »

Currently, sleeping at night (in the open) is a death sentence, but staying awake indefinitely isn't good either. So an option to sleep until night seems like the perfect solution. Also, this would be especially helpful for all those vampire adventurers in the next version.

Here's an example of how it could look:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 04:52:58 pm by SenorPwnage »

nitus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode - Sleep Until Dusk
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 06:45:52 pm »

I don't think that being awake at night prevents bogeymen -- it may just seem to because time passes much more slowly.

Sscral

• Bay Watcher
  • привет
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 06:56:19 pm »

It doesn't prevent the bogeymen attacks, but if they catch you asleep you might not wake up(Based on observation skill), and they'll tear you to pieces in your sleep.
A three year old just made an artifact doll from the skull of his dead kitten. I can only assume the mind control lasted past death.
"Look, mommy!  Now I can play with Mister Fluffles forever!"

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 07:25:03 pm »

Yeah, they come whether you're awake or not, but at least being awake would mean you can fight them off.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 07:53:44 pm »

Also, this would be especially helpful for all those vampire adventurers in the next version.

This, is why I support this suggestion.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

astaldaran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 08:08:42 pm »

Is it reasonable to assume that an adventurer can train himself to wake up when it gets dark? Training one self to wake up at sunset or even at a particular time can happen..but that seems really counter to ones natural bent..to wake up when it gets dark.  Maybe the more often you do it..the better you are at waking up when you want to?

SenorPwnage

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 09:11:36 pm »

Is it reasonable to assume that an adventurer can train himself to wake up when it gets dark? Training one self to wake up at sunset or even at a particular time can happen..but that seems really counter to ones natural bent..to wake up when it gets dark.  Maybe the more often you do it..the better you are at waking up when you want to?

You can already pick a specific amount of time to sleep, and as far as I can tell, you immediately wake up at the correct time with no extra disadvantages. You can probably even do exactly what I describe in the OP, assuming you can tell time in-game.

I guess if ToadyOne does want to implement a system like that, I'm fine with rewarding characters for having a normal sleep cycle. But I have no clue how this would affect sleeping based on hours, and I really don't want some sort of "sleep skill" that just gets added to the usual starting grind.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 10:14:52 pm »

Well there are many times when sleeping to a specific time would be useful even without vampires or Boogymen

for example what if your asked to meet someone at a specific time?

Allowing people to chose the time of awakening (or stop waiting) would be very useful.