Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sports  (Read 1528 times)

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
Sports
« on: August 15, 2007, 03:53:00 pm »

I don't know if this has been posted before, but here goes anyway. I was thinking, what if the dwarfs could have their own types of games? like the Dwarf Olympic's or some such event. You could have all types of games, from batting kobolds arcross a river, or shot putting with goblins? What you would do is have to train a bunch of dwarfs to play these sports, they become athletes and stuff, and they can go to other(?) fortresses around the world and compete against the other fortresses and what not. You could even host the games, like having to make a large swimming arena... or i dunno other types of sporty activities. Thoughts?

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sports
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 06:07:00 pm »

A dwarf olympics might be an interesting idea, if perhaps a bit far out on the branch of recreation and sports.

I'm all for sports related rooms though. Gymnastic halls, swimming pools, weightlifting rooms, etc. They would provide meaningful recreation to off duty dwarves as well as build their skills. They'd also be good for rehabilitating the wounded.

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 07:54:00 pm »

Dwarves probably consider chugging to be a sport.

Though on that subject, it'd be funny if parties would have chugging contests. Obviously, bad for your booze stockpiles, and the "winner" probably passes out shortly after :P Good for morale though I'd imagine.

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 08:54:00 pm »

Oh yeah, chugging contests would be epic win.  :D

They could also have large rock hurling contests and stuff. Dwarf-ish sports like that.

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 09:36:00 pm »

Organized by an organization that sends a noble representative to your fort once you meet XYZ requirements?
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

cOMMUNISMISFANCY

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 09:58:00 pm »

I'd like to see the dwarves play a Blood Bowl type game  :)

Hollow out a large arena, train up your football team and instead of having a goblin siege, they come and challenge you to a match!

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 12:21:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by cOMMUNISMISFANCY:
<STRONG>I'd like to see the dwarves play a Blood Bowl type game   :)

Hollow out a large arena, train up your football team and instead of having a goblin siege, they come and challenge you to a match!</STRONG>

Do you still get to flood them with magma?!

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
    • http://...
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 03:47:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Lightning4:
<STRONG>

Do you still get to flood them with magma?!</STRONG>

Only if they win.  ;)

This is related to the Arena thread and (as Toady says there) Bloat 233, "ARENAS, (Future): Fight for food or money, stuff can be on chains or just waiting inside. Various associated industries."

"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."
Multiplayer Adventure Mode, the (now defunct) DF roleplaying game.

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 02:50:23 pm »

Yeah I think sport related rooms would be a great idea! Swimming pools would also be good. WANT :D

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 11:16:39 pm »

Drinking Contest: The dwarves chug buckets of water until one throws up.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 01:34:00 pm »

Olympics in DF are definitely a good thing to have for those who are not already Strong, Tough or Agile. Other sports could include: Archery; shooting a crossbow at an Archery Target building 30 tiles away, Pole-vaulting; using a pike (the weapon, NOT the fish) to hop a 2-3 z-level wall, and Javelin Hurling; throwing a javelin (or copper spear, closest thing I can think of) into a 3x3 pit. In Archery, you could use your best marksdwarfs to beat other participants. The date of Dwarven Olympics could be a siege-sized horde coming to your fort (or you sending one to another site in the world), consisting of many peasants, several Athletes (dwarfs sentinents who decide it's a good idea to work out), and a few soldiers as their best "athletes".