Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Most incongruous descriptions?  (Read 2961 times)

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Most incongruous descriptions?
« on: June 22, 2011, 05:09:37 pm »

What is the most incongrous, bizarre or otherwise amusing description you of a creature (or anything else) that you have found?

I've just encountered a "moon troll spouse" with the following description:
Cóce Fecicithefama Melinunòre

A large eyeless humanoid.  It has two broad horns and it lumbers along steadily from place to place.  Its clear skin is warty.  Now you will know why you fear the night.

He is weak.

I also got attacked by a giantess in Fortress Mode recently.  Her description said she was "very short and skinny".
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Most incongruous descriptions?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 10:15:00 pm »

The descriptions like "weak, short, skinny" are comparative to other things in its class.

A short, skinny, weak giant is still bigger, taller and stronger then a strong, fat, tall elf or something.

I guess to contribute, I had a soldier traveling companion in advent mode described as "once extremely skinny, she is now belarded with masses of fat" really not sure why that is since she has never eaten once during the 2 years she's followed me around and mashed mutual enemies with her crappy warhammer.

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 09:03:33 am »

Not entirely sure but I thought fat was linked to toughness? Perhaps by "once skinny now belarded with fat" it is reference to how the character has gained toughness stats. Either that or it's a result of the "never getting hungry" fix/change in .25. Maybe being constantly 100% satiated causes things to become fat.

em312s0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 10:31:35 pm »

what does belarded even mean? is it like youre now stuffed with lard?

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 11:24:56 pm »

what does belarded even mean? is it like youre now stuffed with lard?

Apparently it isn't even a word. Toady must have made it up and assumed it meant something like "covered" i.e. "covered with masses of fat"
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.