Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Candy factory?  (Read 1226 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Candy factory?
« on: June 23, 2011, 01:49:33 pm »

I was thinking about some cave-in mechanics and a thought occurred. If natural floors or walls are dropped on other natural floors or walls, then the ones on the bottom turn into what fell on top of them. Knowing this, would it be possible to mine out some candy then cave-in the candy floor on some non-candy rock and create more? This would eventually run out, but you could theoretically increase your candy stocks by a huge amount.

Also, would it be possible to bring the natural candy floor up higher than it started? If we can do this, than you could effectively have infinite adamantine if you combined it with an obsidian farm to create more stone.

edit: On a related note, is it possible to mod adamantine to occur in veins or as a layer stone?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Candy factory?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 02:00:22 pm »

There used to be a method of having a markdwarf squad with quiver full of candy bolts standing off and shooting at captured goblin, with channeled out spaces for bolts to fall down in after hitting a wall. Not sure if that still works, since it depends on bug of being able to, theorically, being able to get 2.5 times as much material out of one bolt stack if each bolt are split from it ( I heard that in practice it was closer to 1.5 or 1.25, due to hitting the target ).

That sounds closer to factory process to me, really  :D

I've no experience with cave-in mechanism abuse, but I'm fairly sure that it doesn't works that way. I'll leave it up to someone else with hand-on experience to answer that part.

Mr. Dwarfinton

• Bay Watcher
  • This space has been left blank by the user.
    • View Profile
Re: Candy factory?
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 02:13:11 pm »

I think the stone takes place of the type of stone it destroys, so if you drop magnetite on candy then you get dolomite and candy.

I have little to no experience with it, so I'm just taking a random guess.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I was thinking of when the floor below is destroyed, so your idea would not work as it relies on the floor below not being destroyed. Which it will unless I am wrong.