Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Changing appearance  (Read 1151 times)

Obsessed

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh no not you again
    • View Profile
Changing appearance
« on: June 21, 2011, 11:32:36 pm »

Does anyone know how to or is it possible to hack the appearance of adventurers and change it?
Not that different to holocausting elves in a magma chamber. We're all already nazis, just in denial about it.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: Changing appearance
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 01:03:53 pm »

Hey, DF is realistic in the way that you don't change your appearance. What's wrong with that?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 01:44:37 pm »

Hey, DF is realistic in the way that you don't change your appearance. What's wrong with that?

Realistic and good don't necessarily go hand in hand, maybe you want a character to look like you or like how you'd want to look or another character floating around in your head.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 02:08:47 pm »

Realistic and good don't necessarily go hand in hand, maybe you want a character to look like you or like how you'd want to look or another character floating around in your head.

Hmm...

Good point. There could be a random option or a make-your-own one.

I don't know anything to change your appearance, though.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 02:15:53 pm »

The flavor text is procedurally generated from bits of descriptors but I have no idea where that data is saved for individual characters if you could find the magical appearance vault then changing it would be a simple ctrl+f. My advice would be digging through the world raws if it's not in there then changing it wouldn't be possible because it would require regen and the character wouldn't exist yet so there would be nothing to change and no place to add.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 02:34:08 pm »

It wouldn't be in the raws, those only contain the general instructions for how everything is set up, not the specific data about the world.

The flavour text for individual creatures would almost certainly be located in one of the .dat files in the save folder, one of the unit files would be my guess. The problem is that these files are made up of data only DF can understand, meaning you can't just open one up in notepad. There might be a utility that can read and edit these files but I don't know about any.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord