Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mist and Horses: Tales of Misfortune  (Read 763 times)

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mist and Horses: Tales of Misfortune
« on: June 23, 2011, 08:09:56 pm »

Not really tales. Just a couple of bad things that happened to my adventurer.

I've been taking "contracts" to go kill bandits. The last two camps were really hard, because of the weather. See, fog is a major problem in adventure mode. I hadn't realized this. I charged blindly into it (traveling) and eventually had to find my way to the camp via quest map. I had to sleep along the way, so I may have approached during night. Zero visibility either way.

Once in the camp, I could only see one tile in front of me. Nearly got mauled by a surprise goblin axeman. Plenty of hammer bashes came from behind, and I was surrounded - unknowingly - for a while. I made it out just fine, though. The second was a bit harder.

Same conditions for the second, but I was there in the day, so I could see one tile all around. Made it through everyone OK. Then, as I was leaving, a bolt hit me straight in the left lung; I was knocked down. Unable to see my assailant, I crawled out of the camp as fast as possible. Thankfully, his next two shots missed me.

Lesson: Fog, and even clouds, really suck for adventurers.

Second one's worse. I approached a fortress, hoping to find some recruits inside. Sadly, they're all abandoned in this region. Anyway, there was a herd of horses and groundhogs a way in front of the gates. Big group, somewhere around a dozen horses and half a dozen groundhogs. I continued toward the gates, expecting them to scatter. They ran straight toward the gates, almost all of them.

Not expecting the horses and groundhogs to be a problem, I continued. They wouldn't move away from the doors, so I tried to move through them. I immediately got attacked by about five of them. Not understanding, I tried to go again, only to be attacked repeatedly. I started flailing about with my sword, and they quickly dispersed. Looking around, I realized I lost my foot. I think a horse bit it off.

I'm currently laying in the keep, foot in my backpack, trying to sleep and regain my health.

Does anyone know how to use crutches?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Mist and Horses: Tales of Misfortune
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 12:53:37 am »

Assuming you were lucky enough to actually HAVE one, just 'r'emove it from your backpack into your hand and you should start using it immediately. It will take hours and hours of walking to reach even half your original speed and a decent crutch-walker skill though. :-\

And yes, fog is terrifyingly fun right now. Constantly lose companions in it because they run off after animals that I myself can't see. I would much prefer it if your vision were only halved, but all tiles were white checkered patterns with light grey checkered tiles representing items on the ground, dark grey ones representing creatures, and black ones representing trees/walls, or else it was only halved and those white>black fog tiles flashed slowly. Other creatures need to respect the same vision impairments that the player experiences.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.